*****Official Team 6 Turkey Contest Thread*****

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by IAMIKE, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    We went back out tonight, had my wife and the little dude in the blind. Jen hasn't ever shot any animals with any weapon, she killed a jake at 23 yards with her jewel on film. Should be on BHOD in a couple weeks. It was pretty cool to have Weston with us. I'm ready to shoot one now :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool picture. Rainbow. Little man smiling. Not much else you could add to that.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If that doesn't make your season right there, nothing will buddy! But go bust a big one!

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It was certainly a cool experience. Today, we had our last two turkey hunters of the year, It was the first day of their hunt and we were tagged out and eating breakfast by 9:30am. It was 41 degrees and pouring down rain (again) no gobbling at all, we snuck in and these guys waxed 'em. Since they're done on day one... that means I have about 10 days to get it done before we head out on the bear hunt. I'm pretty confident we can get it done again :D Keep at it guys!

[​IMG]

5. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing this morning. If I don't get something by next weekend I'm bringing in my friend to call. I think I might sound like an old ugly hen. Instead of that young foxy hen. Won't be out until next week.

Good luck to anyone out. We have a good chance of winning this.

6. DriveTacks

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I just noticed boonerville and his double beard got removed from the score card... Did miss something?

7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What? Why?

8. DriveTacks

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know that it's intentional, the total score is still there, but it appears your name and score got deleted somehow, Dustin will be able to clarify and fix it when he sees this! We can't loose your double beard points, that's the bonus that puts us ahead! Assuming a couple more guys can get on the board cause the returning champs are sitting pretty again...

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked, still there on my screen anyway. Greg hasn't added his bird yet so we should still be leading.

I just built up some new arrows and added some 75gr. brass inserts... wow, what a difference that made. I haven't shot them past 60 yards yet, but they fly like darts. I'm ready to knock over a bird here pretty quick and then hopefully a bear in a little over a week. :D Let 'em fly boys!

10. DriveTacks

Dislikes Received:
    That's weird, I still see Boonerville's post but I don't see his name under the team 6 heading where it shows the rest of us, but It shows 139 for a total, I only see the 60 point bird updated below... I'm on tapatalk so maybe it's not updating right, even though I've closed the app a few times now...

11. DriveTacks

Dislikes Received:
    ... so tapatalk is formatted weird or something, on my laptop now and all is good, whew! On another note, I swung by ****s sporting goods (nearest SG store) tonight and grabbed a new blind, the only offerings they had were the updated versions of the too small dog house style ones I already have, and the "big Mike" stand up style blind. I had previously read some reviews on it and nearly all were positive, so for $149 i figured I couldn't go wrong. Got it home and set it up in the living room with my boys, they loved it and I'm pretty pleased as well. It seems like it will be a pretty good blind, very roomy and very tall. Might be too tall to hide well for deer hunting, but I hardly ever bow hunt deer off the ground so that's not a huge concern. Back at it in the morning, hiking back up the mountain in hopes that the bird didnt get pushed around much this week. Good luck to any of you getting out this weekend!

12. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA for so long... actually been hunting my arse off. Alarm clock has went off for almost five straight weeks at 4:20 or earlier... Granted, a lot of that time has been trying to put my boys on birds (which they've killed three so far and should have been six but Matthew moved once when he shouldn't have with a gobbler at 28 yards but no shot opportunity and we didn't recover a couple bow-shot turkeys in KS where he was trying to take his first with a bow...), but I've been doing my fair share of hunting too.

I finally sent my Muzzy through a Missouri bird yesterday morning. As I suspected it would be, he's much heavier than my KS bird was and with a good bit longer beard too. They're just not as pretty, and I sure do love it out there... :)

Stats on yesterday's bird:

26 lbs even
    1 & 1 1/8" spurs
    11 1/2" beard

Total score: 70.25

[​IMG]

Congrats to everyone that's filled a tag. Looks like I've got some reading to do to catch up. Be back out in the morning trying to get my oldest his 2nd Missouri bird. I'd like to see him tag out... And I'll be making a few trips back to KS after my second bird later in the month as well.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Greg, good looking bird. I'll be out this week a few times and should have a pretty good shot at getting it done. Then Saturday... it's off to Manitoba for the bruins :D

14. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great bird Greg! We should be in the lead now

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy bird Greg. Congrats. Thursday through Sunday I will hunt real hard to get a bird. I've never had this much of a problem getting a shot at a bird. They seem to always be henned up.

I'm also not the greatest caller in the world which might have a lot to do with it.

Good luck out there for anyone going for first, second or third birds.

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, we got it done tonight again with the whole family. I shot a jake with my wife and little guy in the blind again, so it was pretty cool. I think we saw 12 jakes and no toms, but I wasn't going to be picky as we leave for our bear hunt on Saturday and season will close while we are gone. I haven't scored him, but it won't be a whole lot, hopefully enough to get us the win if we need a tie breaker.

[​IMG]

17. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Dusto! Congrats to the team 6 killers also. I'm just getting started with my hunting so hopefully I can put some points on the board one of these days.

18. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work again. Your kid is getting a lot to experience.

19. DriveTacks

Dislikes Received:
    Good work brother! I know the first bearded bird I see with the bow is going to get it! Then if that elusive tom is still alive he might have to eat some lead! Saturday morning I plan to be back at it. Hope to get in there Friday evening and see if I can get an idea of where he is roosting and get my blind set up and ready to go. He doesn't seem to be into any of my jake decoys, might just go with my two avian x hens, what do you guys think? Is a jake decoy (runt, or full strut with jake fan) pushing off a 2+ year old bird or is it something else?

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I always have a full strut decoy. I've killed a lot of birds with a FS jake and no hens even. But no, the decoy shouldn't be shying that bird away. If you have a strutter with one hen... that's what I would use but obviously I don't know how the birds in your area work. Good luck!