*****Official Team 6 Turkey Contest Thread*****

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by IAMIKE, Mar 15, 2015.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in. I'll start chasing them April 13.

Got married last year. Best gift was a dave smith turkey decoy that I've been itching to try.

Lots of turkeys around my area.

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone doing any scouting? I located 4 different toms today. Got one to gobble in the timber& saw 3 strutters in a food plot

3. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went home for easter. Saw a huge tom Struttin around in a horse pasture off the side of the interstate. It was awesome. I can't wait for Monday!!!! Gonna do some scouting on thursday

4. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Seen 4 toms out driving around yesterday. Burned off a food plot of ours Monday and heard a hen and gobbler getting worked up while I was burning the 2 acre plot. That is where I'll be hunting next week at some point. The turkeys like the clover in the plot. I didn't burn all of it. Just any spots with bad foxtail.

5. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up a new Mathews NO CAM HTR today!!! Super excited to shoot a turkey with it in two weeks.

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Birds are starting to poke their heads out now, still getting snow nearly every night but day time highs are anywhere from 45-60. I've confirmed permission on a new piece, the owners wife said "there are plenty of turkeys", I like hearing that. My dads buddy wants me to take him, he has birds on his property so I may try to get on them opening day may 1st if he wishes to take the morning off from work, otherwise I'll go to one of my other spots. Getting ready to put the kids to bed, then headed to the basement to do some broad head tuning on the new Nitrum!

7. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Lot of kids getting a head start this weekend with the jelly necks. Perfect day out. Kids should have good success this weekend if someone puts them in a good spot.

Season starts Monday for me. I'll be hunting a few nights this week and hopefully picking off a big old tom heading to roost.

8. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice day out. Windy still. Can't wait for another night. I'm too much like a little kid when it comes to season openers. I'm getting out tonight to see what I can see. Not a great night for calling with wind, but it looks like the wind might go down some. Right now 25 mph with 35 gusts.

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be heading out to KS to hunt for a few days... Keep ya posted! :)

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Better do a sunshine dance buddy.... forecast sure is gloomy

We need the rain though

11. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Last night was windy as expected. Saw some birds on neighbors. The toms were with hens I couldn't get them to break away. Deer were surrounding my decoy. That didn't help me at all. Hard to move or call with the deer right there.

12. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Took down a Kansas Rio this morning... may have been a 3-year-old due to his spur length, possibly 2... He came in just like you want them to :) Picked me off drawing but I ran a Muzzy MX-3 125-grain through his hip bone and out the other side of his vitals at about 10 yards. He went about 10 yards from there and was down for good.

Beard: 8 1/6"
    Spurs: 1 1/6"
    Weight: 21 1/2 lbs.

Score: 59.7

Only pics I have of him are on my phone right now... I'll have to grab one off my Facebook page to put on here in a bit. We got the whole thing on video too, and even a second-angle shot from my Spypoint Xcel HD2 from beside the dekes.

Probably won't throw this one on the scoring page yet as I'll have a chance to put a much heavier bird on the board after our MO season opens next Monday... but I sure do like how these KS birds look and act!! :)

13. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats greg!

14. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Greg.

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Almost had a coyote. Was at full draw and waited to long. I wanted to see if he would attack the decoy. He caught my scent trail and bailed at about 30 yards.

16. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Here was my bird:

[​IMG]

17. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bird.

18. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Greg, I have turkey hunters here M-W and then it's go time for me. Looking forward it! Keep it up guys.

19. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Greg! Nice looking bird and Pic! Way to get it started. I can't hunt until WI 3rd season(April 29th). Hopefully team 6 will have a few more on the ground by then!

20. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had some close calls this morning. I'm hunting stand land so the birds have already been pressured and were not very responsive this morning. We had one gobble and had a hen come right into my setup. So we called it a day at about 9:30 cause it was hailing and had wind gusts up to 30 m.p.h.!!! So as we were driving home(my dad was with me), I asked my dad to drive by a small field on some state land not a mile from the other one. Wouldn't you know it, there's a BIG tom with 4 hens on the edge of the field not 100 yds from the road. So we turn around and I was thinking of a game plan. I knew exactly where they were going so I decided I would just sit and cut them off. So we turn around and as were driving back I glance over to make sure there still in the field and there is 3 dogs chasing the turkeys!!! Going back out this evening and see If I can strike a gobbler. Its very windy so I'm skeptical about tonight but you can't kill from the couch.