Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indy lots of time man don't worry. This is kinda a tough time. End of your week should be a better one. Find the food sources. Rut is closing and bucks are gonna be looking for food and may potentially start looking for the second group of girls going into heat. Sometimes late season is more fruitful then the rut. Because their active like the rut but its a little more predictable.

Keep at it man. Hunting is a numbers game IMO. Out in enough hours and you'll find em.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I think they hit their rest period here the last week'ish. A lot of what I have on camera now, the bucks look a little ragged and beaten up and many have broken tines, etc... The biggest of them seem to have faired pretty well but that's not surprising, some of them are so much bigger than the average deer that they don't get many challengers to fight with I don't imagine.

Talked with the guy that shot OMG this evening...he really seems like a cool guy and he's about as management and hunting crazy as I am. I think he'll be a good neighbor to have around and contribute to our program here. Just thought it was pretty cool to share.

3. cunninghamww

cunninghamww Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the kind words, fellas. In the end I am happy with him, wouldn't have shot him if I wasn't. Just stretched out on the chair enjoying thanksgiving...hope everyone else is able to spend time with their loved ones as well!

4. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving brothers!

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Back at ya bro and to the rest of the team. Good job so far this year guys...stay safe!

6. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Is that bad boy registered yet? I can't find him.

7. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy thanksgiving guys! I'm laying here dreaming of the woods trying to figure out what to do tomorrow.
    Not sure if I'm going to try and just sit at the house hoping for a chance at the 11 or head south and go a little deeper in hopes of getting on some.
    Either way, I'll be in the tree.
    The deer at my house are basically non - existent any more. My cams haven't gotten anything in about a week.

8. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happy thanksgiving yuall!

9. cunninghamww

cunninghamww Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't officially taped him yet, lol. Got the pics I need to submit and will tape him either tonight or tomorrow.

10. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that's right you boys have thanksgiving today. Happy thanksgiving to you all. Ours is in October so I basically froze my *** off at work all day lol. Just got home watching Oakland vs Dallas.

Get out there Indy.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough call Indy. I might do something stupid and chance the house property. Odds are they will be back and it might not be a stupid idea to be there when they do. I don't know....sometimes chasing the deer where they have been caught by the cameras makes a person a day late so you wind up staying a day behind the deer. Sometimes it pays off to try to get a step ahead to make the timing pan out just right...but it's a big gamble too.

12. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indy my rule of thumb is if deer are not using a particular area. There for sure not going to be there when your there. We need to find spots deer always use and even then once we get in there they leave. Going somewhere there already not never works.

Get in their deep and get to some spots you've previously seen them. Look for trails, to me just walking trails are the best spot. Deer travel and are not weary etc when on walking trails. There not looking for humans. I think when approaching open feeding fields etc they know danger is a possibility. So they come down wind, taste, listen, look. And god knows how many deer we never saw because they figured us out. Get in their and look for deer trails. If you have snow should be easy.

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have scouted this pretty deep, but it's government land. Wednesday at about an hour before last shot i heard something, got ready for a deer and sure enough it was some guy walking around. Oh I was pissed.
    My concern with that place is pressure is still too high.

I have about an hour and a half til bedtime so I have a bit of time to decide.

14. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say that, I've killed deer in places everyone else gave up on because they had quit seeing deer in there. It depends on what moved them out or why they moved out. If deer were there...they will be back....being there when they decide to come back can pay off.
    I don't know how many times I've seen guys here on the forum this year talk about moving out of a favorite stand location for a while and then post cam pics saying , "Dang I should have been in that stand last evening look what I got on the camera there! Too bad I was in the other stand!"

It's not as crazy as it sounds.

16. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    If you plant a seed this year and it doesn't grow do you plant it again next year?

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I would evaluate the germination of the seed lot and determine whether or not to replant from the same seed lot or to purchase different seed. A planted seed with no germination will rot in the soil in about a three days....not sure what this has to do with deer hunting, lol.

18. Bob Thomas

Dislikes Received:
    :0) Just saying if I keep going to the same spot and don't see any deer why keep going back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Got my euro back last weekend. $75 & a good, quick job! I was surprised to see guys posting they pay $150 in other parts of the country.

[​IMG]

20. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I have some spots like this... Not great spots but they are close to home and who knows I may get lucky. I see deer at one place all the time while not hunting... Same with turkeys at this spot. And it's such a pretty spot and easy getting in and out. i have to always try it when i have only 1/2 day to go hunt. It's just not a productive harvesting location.