Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like Racknasties best I think. I am hoping to get a buck on film that I have never seen but found his sheds in one of my crop fields with a tractor tire....Thinking of his sheds is where I came up with racknasties. It is a nasty massive and tangled mess so I named the unseen buck Racknastie. It's so massive I ran it through a back tire and the drop tine punctured my tire and the wheel brought it around and slapped it against my fender and all it did was split the antler a little bit.

I'll snap a fresh pic of it and post it pretty soon. I've never seen this deer so I don't know if he's coming in in late winter from a long distance or if he's just that sharp. But you'll see why I named him Racknastie when I post the pic of these sheds, lol.

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah man that is nuts! I've never heard of a shed puncturing a tratcor tire!

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah that's fairly common and it doesn't take all that large of a shed. I had one go through a rear tire on a different tractor on a different farm this spring and it was just a smallish eight point.

4. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty wild. I'll have to talk to some friends and see if it's ever happened to them.

We're not doing so well on the check-ins. Only 5 of 12 of us so far! lol They have til 9/2 to check in, but it's not a good sign after 3 days. Typically they will check in and become dead space, hopefully not, but we'll see.

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's going to be freaking rough to score well with just 5 team members...I suppose there are alternates to take up the slack. I wonder how many sign up thinking they will only check in if they get placed with people they know and like..

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, another team name I'll throw out on the table.

Team Knockers.

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the set of sheds from Racknastie.
    I set them below the skull from one of the management 140 class 8 points I took with a rifle year before last for size comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that's massive.

9. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I'm checking in! I hope we have a better team than last year We had only maybe four active members.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

10. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I better check in before I get replaced with an alternate even though I think i still have 10+ days to check in officially... I thought this was about having fun and yuall are already worried the team won’t even fill out. i understand it is partly from previous bad experiences, but you gotta at least give people a chance to do right... so I'm here doing my part.

This is my first year in the contest. I didn't sign up last year because it was my first year bow hunting and I wasn't very confident in my abilities. i did monitor the threads and enjoyed keeping pace with what was happening in the contest.

My real name is Marty. I like in Edmond, OK. By day, for money, I'm a systems engineer for an IT consulting company. No, I don't answer tech questions for free, but i would be glad to help you if you have a valid credit card number... :)

I have been married for 12 years and have a PERFECT 2 year old daughter and a son gestating who will be here any time now. so with the new baby almost here, my time in the stand this year will be limited, so I'm going to make every session count. yes, I got a late start with the kids, but it has been incredible.

Oklahoma archery Season for whitetails starts Oct 1 and runs through Jan 15. Oklahoma is a counter tag state, so if anyone wanted to potentially come to Oklahoma and hunt, you can certainly drive here and do it, if you pay the fees. We actually have a fair amount of public land also.

I own 34 acres in the Ozark oak-hickory hills in north east Oklahoma - Delaware county - near the AR-OK-MO border, what is left of the farm where I grew up. It is 3 hours away (one-way – coveymaster is probably closer to it than me!) from my home in central Oklahoma, but luckily my Mother still lives nearby there so i have a place to flop when I am there. I also have several other properties in central Oklahoma that I hunt, so i have plenty of choices any given weekend - when I can get a pass (see new son arriving any day above). I was also drawn for my town's archery only lake hunt for 4 days. I'm excited about this opportunity and challenge. I'll elaborate about it later and the challenges it presents.

Please don’t think we're screwed just because I'm a newbie with a bow. I have gun hunted for 40 years and know my way around the woods. After last years experiences, I may never gun hunt again for whitetails - at least i have no intentions of doing it in the near future. I won't elaborate more about myself here, but if you want to read this post from last winter, it gives you a little more about me and my season up to the first part of December 2012 when I arrowed

http://forums.bowhunting.com/whitet...w-whitetail-introduction-long.html#post597594

I certainly intend to contribute, team score-wise, as much as possible.

I don't gab a lot - you can tell by my posts count - so you probably won't see me bantering around, but when I have something to contribute, I will.

I vote for Indynotch for captain, if he wants it. He seems to have some experience with the process, etc... whatever needs to happen to get last years team 17 avatar off his profile!

insofar as a team name... I'm kinda likin racknasties. the others i like are risque and potentially inappropriate.

Nice to meet yuall

39 days to OK opener!!!

Cheers!
    Marty

11. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:

12. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

THAT is indeed a NASTY buck, CM!!!

13. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I should introduce myself. I'm Bob from Massachusetts. I'm 60 years old and have been bow hunting for about forty. I shoot an old Martin Cougar (love this bow) and I like to shoot it out of trees LOL. Last year I got a nine point, it was the only shot I took.
    I used one of those horrible Rage heads, got it in the bread basket. The air around the deer filled with a red mist! It was amazing! Easy tracking job horrible drag.
    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

14. Copper dog

Copper dog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also vote indynotch if he wants it

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to meet you guys, thanks for checking in. No we weren't going to start placing alternatives yet...I don't think we even do that but probably the forum management and mods? We were just talking and getting nervous that only five people had so much as said boo.

The other thing is we were hoping more members would participate in the name selection since it's a "team" name and the other teams seem to be pretty much hammering that out. The sooner we get a name established the sooner I (or someone) can get to work on a team logo.

Yeah Indy has by far the most post and has been here the longest of us so far so seems appropriate and he did a great job in taking the lead and opening this team thread...thanks for that BTW! I didn't join this forum until this month and obviously I didn't participate in this competition either. In fact this is the first hunting competition I ever participated in....at least I am pretty experienced in bowhunting, lol.

16. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Bob and Marty! Great to have you guys on board! This is shaping up to be the best team I've had yet.

Brent, those things are sick!!!!

I'll gladly be the captain unless someone who has never done it wants to. Brent / Marty this is your first year so if you want it, just say.

This is my third time participating. I've never actually put a buck on the board. My 154" was shot with a muzzleloader. I've seen a lot of bucks but they weren't quite big enough to take yet. I'd rather eat the tag then take a small one, but that's my preference, we all hunt for a different purpose.

I think everyone so far has at least 1 vote for RackNasties. Again, I'm open to anything else, but yes, this team 17 (worst team so far) needs to come off.

I'm really excited about the competition this year. We have a really good group of guys.

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, no...I don't want it...I think it should be someone with forum senority and besides I knew from the moment I opened the thread and read your OP I thought...cool this guy should be our team captain! It showed great initiative to get the team thread started and you did a great job of it...very professional so thanks.

As soon as we get a group okay, I'll throw something together for a new logo and you can get rid of that old one, lol. I'll use whatever the new one is for my avvy too....or I can make custom avvys with the logo incorporated for everyone if they so wish. Different colors or something...

Well, unless something freaky happens, I have every intention and expectation of adding at least a doe and a management buck to the team score and I need meat in the freezer anyway. I would add several if the rules allowed it, lol.

18. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    So is it inappropriate to settle on a captain and team name before everyone has checked in?

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, I don't know, I kinda thought it was....which is why I was getting anxious for everyone to check in!

20. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    We can wait, or 7 of 12 is a majority... I'm good with either one.