********Official Team 2 - Blind Dwellers ******

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by BigHoss, Mar 16, 2015.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am on the board this morning. My dad wanted to hunt a different part of the farm so he said I could hunt the ground blind I setup. At 7:30 I had a bird hammering and come to about 70 yards. He snuck behind me and then I called him back into the blind. The only problem was that he was 5 feet from the blind and I couldn't draw. I let him walk up the pipeline and started calling again. Another tom fired up 100 yards away and was coming fast. He closed the distance fast and came in for a shot. I put my 20 yard pin on him and let it fly. Missed under him. I reranged the distance and it turned out to be 27. I sat quiet for a while and started to call again. 3 toms fired up in front of me but never came in. I thought about packing up to head home when I saw a jake and hen walking down the pipeline. They got to 15 yards and I let the jake have it. It is my first bow bird and I wasn't going to be picky about it. I will add it to the scorecard in a bit.

[​IMG]

2. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you had a great morning and congrats on your first archery bird!

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Powerhawk! Hopefully you took a pic with your bow included or it won't count for the contest. But either way congrats!

I got skunked. We had a tom working its way in and then it just shut up, at the same time the hen in the field got nervous and started putting. A few seconds later we saw why, I coyote came out into the field. It was out of bow range or I would have had let him have it lol.

4. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have one but it isn't as good of picture as the other ones.

5. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Alright got it up on the board.

6. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Powerhawk! Way to get it done.

My season is over... no luck! :( Still heard gobbling this morning at my house; maybe it's time to get the mathews out before work. LOL.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have until May 30th. It gets harder here as the season gets later but I'll give it heck the next few weeks.

8. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Powerhawk!

9. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Had another awesome morning. Had to go back to school and I took my buddy out that never got a bird. We went out to the gamelands near school and got it done. We had birds roosted for this morning but they didn't work out. We went back in about a mile and struck up a bird. He was by himself and came in on a string. It is my buddy's first bird and was an awesome time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few videos from this weekend. The first is of the first bird that I couldn't get drawn on because he was too close.

The second one is from the longbeard I missed. I thought it was 20 but turned out to be 27.

This is the kill shot.

And this is my buddy's bird.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff Powerhawk.

I am going to try to get out tomorrow. I have been hunting down near a friend's house about 1.5 hrs away, but tomorrow I will be solo and hunting close to home.

12. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome clips! Ill be back in the woods tomorrow morning going for bird number two of the year. While setting up the blind yesterday Me and the GF could hear two gobbling over the hill and just got us even more pumped. Gonna have the recurve with me so they are gonna need to be close! Good luck Coop!

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No luck today. I was hunting without a blind because I was scouting/hunting a new section of state land and I wasn't sure what to expect. I had some hens and a jake feeding towards me. I considered shooting the jake when a hen I didn't see, about 40 yards to the right of the other turkeys, saw me and lost its mind. It was game over LOL. Hunting big woods gobblers is challenging in PA this late. Saturday I will be back where I was last Saturday, hopefully I can loose and arrow finally.

14. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bet it was still better than working...

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah. It was a beautiful day.

[​IMG]

Not sure this one took like this, but it's kind of cool. I was trying to take a picture of the apple blossoms:

[​IMG]

16. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was covered up in birds all morning today but just couldn't get a tom within that 15 yard comfort zone for the recurve. If I had the compound or gun I would of been done by 6:30. Moved my blind before I left then later on my way to work bout 4:30 drove by and saw 3 toms and 2 hens right in front of the blind. Problem is I don't get off work until 6 and cant be in blind until 6:15 tomorrow morning which is plenty after first light. Everything I need is already in the blind so I just got to sneak in without busting them and should be in prime position if weather holds off.
    IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0761.jpg

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to come hunt with you or Powerhawk, you guys can find the birds! LOL . I have about 9 trad bows still but with my bad back and bum right bicep I don't feel comfortable hunting with them anymore, good luck man!

18. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BOOM!!! Bird number two for the year down this morning absolutely incredible hunt and even better video Ill post the video once I'm done editing as of right now Ill leave this teaser of a screenshot. This I think is the most proud bird I've killed since it was in Illinois and self filmed head shot recurve instinctive shooting granted it was at 4 yards lol. 2 tags down and two to go. 8" beard 20# 3/4" spurs on both so it doesn't score more then my first one so Ill leave the first as my scored bird.
    IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0768.jpg Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 11.50.19 AM.jpg

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

20. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love the screen shot!! Congrats!!