Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Official team 14 thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Finch, Aug 29, 2011.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cold front moving in, not too cold but lows in the 40's is better that lows in the 70's. Heading out at lunch to hunt some public land near Sussex. It's a bit windy but I'm hunting in some thick stuff from the ground so it should be ok. Hunting Friday and Saturday with my pops on the Eastern Shore so hopefully we'll have some action. I'm also planning on a little light scouting so I'm on the freshest sign the next three weekends(hunting Thursday, Friday, and Saturday three weeks straight...awesome!). Let it begin...good luck anyone else heading out.

2. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Well I saw 2 does Thursday evening then four on Friday and I passed on a big bodied 6 Saturday morning. That buck has a cool little rack for a young deer and if he makes it a season or two he'll be a stud. Anyway kinda quiet around here, anybody hunting?

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting every chance I get but I've had to work 12's all weekend. I have 4 12hour nights I gotta work the end of this week. Starting Monday morning, I'll be off for the month of November. :D

4. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a pic of the six from Saturday, look at his neck:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well going out this afternoon after work... Gonna have to bring extra rope to tie myself to the tree... Windy as all hell here... Going to prove you can still hunt in the wind..

7. deer_predator

Dislikes Received:
    Just pulled up the weather.... 15mph winds out of the South with gusts up to 24mph... Well I ain't gonna shoot anything on the couch.. gonna head to my sweetspot stand.. It is a stand at the bottom of a North facing hill... Should be good travel route for the deer this afternoon..

We will see!!!

8. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Finch you hunting this weekend? 20 degree temp drop here on the coast from Thursday pm to Friday not to mention the new moon. I'm not a die hard moon phase guy but I have researched quite a bit and kept lots of notes over the past few seasons and the most interesting thing to me about the new moon for the weekend and the next few days is that it rises in the morning and sets in the evening. That means absolute darkness at night and the moon directly overhead midday, I'm no Alseheimer but I do know that extended periods of darkness cause a whitetails pineal gland to kick into overdrive increasing testosterone and estrogen levels so the next couple of weeks is gonna get interesting.

That said I'm hunting Thursday pm through Saturday and I'm about to burst sitting here at work. Lots of bucks hitting the dirt here on the forum and lots of local reports of a spike in activity so let's make something happen for Team 14. Good luck and be safe fellas.

9. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I got a buck this morning fellas. Its the one I passed on opening day. Grunted him in and shot him at 25 yards.

New..I have to work 12 hr night shifts this weekend so I can't hunt. BUT come Monday morning...I'm off for just about the entire month of November. I have a few does and two more bucks to KILL! :D

Good luck everyone!!! I'll try to get this guy scored this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! now we're on the board with a buck! congrats! not a bad contribution. I'm hopin to get out the next three days. weather here looks good.

11. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    gonna hit it hard next couple of days, along with my son. still waitin to see if I can hunt all week up north, but I need some one to work one of my days. hopefully that 10 ptr will be back. weather's gonna be perfect, 40s day 30s nights. I'm hearing rumors of the rut startn up with the way the bucks are acting, so I gonna try some gruntn tonight. Hope everyone else goin out tonight will whack somethin.

12. PHSJason

PHSJason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck Finch! Looks like some good times.

13. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

Got him scored the other day and came up with 96 4/8". Gotta work all weekend and then I'll be living in the woods for a month. :)

Good luck guys! Stay safe!

14. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    Well saw 4 does tonight, too far to shoot. Same doe & yearling for past week right at 6. Gonna have to move my second stand over to where they been coming out. How's it going with everyone else? Gonna try again tomorrow afternoon.

15. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Great weekend! Passed a spike and a basket 7 on Friday morning. Saw 5 different bucks Friday evening, two of them at 40 yards circling each other and ready to fight. I shot at the bigger of the two(a nice 8) at 28 yards and somehow missed him. I was on the Easern Shore of VA and if you saw the weather you know we got hit with cold, windy, wet weather on Friday night through Saturday. Saturday morning I got skunked in my ground blind but I stayed dry. The weather was crap 30-40 mph winds from NNE and rain. Went to my evening spot around 3:00 and it was raining sideways...so I slept in the truck til about 4:30. By 5:00 the rain had gotten lighter so my buddy and I trekked in.

It was nasty out but I was excited to see a buck following a deer down the powerline on our way in. My buddy had killed a nice 8 Friday morning and I drug his tarsal gland in with me. Normally I would have drug it out in front of the stand and left it but in my haste I climbed up with it. 20 minutes later a nice 7 or 8 comes in on my trail and I spot him at about 25 yards, he's walking quick and he ends up right behind the stand downwind of me and catches enough of my scent that he immediately 180's and sneaks quickly back the way he came. I got my bow in my hand and sight on him but he was quartering hard away and already nervous and I couldn't get a shot off. A little bummed and losing what little light I had in the bottom quickly I was already planning to head out around 6:15. Around 6:00 a deer shows up out of thin air upwind of me and even though I had seen some bucks I wasn't waiting for one and smoked what I thought was a nice doe at 20 yards. Good shot but upon finding her I realized "she" had grown some tiny spikes. In VA under 1" you can tag as antlerless but he didn't make it, they were just a touch over an inch(anyone have some sandpaper) so here's my buck for the contest entry. A touch disappointed about the spikes(sorry only 50 points) but all in all a great weekend hunting and the action is hot. Between VA and NC I have 5 buck tags left so I'll see if I can top this one....lol.

That's the cliff notes version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  16. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Some other pics from the weekend: my buddies 8, some camp grub(5 day old venison ham steak), the bunk house, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer, New. Don't worry or be sorry about the contest entry. Its all for fun, remeber? :)

That steak looks AWESOME!

18. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:

Yeah it was a real fun weekend, no regrets(trust me not my first little buck for the contests....lol). I think the best part was the fact that noone hunted Saturday afternoon around our land because of the weather and we stuck it out and had a great evening(my buddy saw 13 from his stand near a bean field and a little wheat field. He didn't get a shot but it really reinforced the old saying "you can't kill em from the couch".

19. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys... Sorry it's been a while. I have been working this week (3 days until vacation)!!! Congrats on the buck Finch - way to get us on the board for bucks; oh and NEW61357 nice spiker! :) :) Things are really rocking!

We were out last week in Wisconsin and it was definitely starting to rock... Lots of little guys on their feet! One shooter - but he stayed out of range. Minnesota has been slow; hardly any movement yet... hopefully more soon.

Anyways - starting this Saturday I have 2 weeks off of work! Bowhunt or Die Gentleman!

20. deer_predator

Dislikes Received:
    Just lettin y'all know I am going to be spending the next two weeks in the woods... It's starting to heat up.. Just not really hot yet.. I'll keep y'all up to date!