Official team 14 thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Finch, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...thanks and congrats to you as well. A deer is a deer. Way to score on opening day. And yes, opening day actually felt like hunting season for once. :) It's still a bit chilly out there this morning.

I guess I'm going to be working up my deer today. Might grab a few beers, watch some NFl, and cut up some meat. :D

2. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a doe yesterday, a cow too. I broke my sight on my drenalin Friday evening so I had to use my old crossbow. Hate that, but a deer is a deer.
    SSPX0469.jpg
    SSPX0470.jpg

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe, Pike. Looks like three of us scored yesterday. Not bad.

4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I geek out laughing everytime I look at these pics and trust me my buddy and I laughed quite a bit when I was trying to get him to take them. At least it didn't have spots and somebody already posted one with spots on the scorecard thread so I think I'm safe on the smallest deer contest(it's still close though).

Ribbing allowed, I'm not sensitive.

Attached Files:

5. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...don't feel bad. I've killed "one handed" deer before too. You've got some nice eatin' there. :)

6. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the bird!

8. PHSJason

PHSJason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Early Bull elk season was a bust. Saw some animals, had some get close, but no shots fired. We are now in between seasons until our late deer/elk season opens around thanksgiving. I am going bear hunting this week and hope to connect with one of the bears I saw during elk season.

9. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going to go out Saturday and try and get the buck I'm after. Got my freezer filled back up from that doe! Tonight is venison meat loaf

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    great, team is puttin points on the board. I won't be out till next week. warm spell came in and is in the upper 80s. nice shootin with the bird. If I had bought a turkey tag on Fri like i should have i'd have 1 in the freezer now. 6 birds under my stand at 20yds. dang it anyway! good luck to the rest of you.

11. mossyhornsZ7

mossyhornsZ7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    heading out tomorrow evening through next Tuesday over to Western Ky. Hope to put a bruiser on the ground..happy hunting fellers

12. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be gone all weekend getting gun camp ready for season.. the good thing is I bowhunt in the mornings while all the drunks are still sleepin!!.. LOL

13. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations to those that have already scored. 1 week into the season and I've only hunted one evening. Saw 3 doe....none with fawns. This drought and hot summer definitely played its toll on the fawn crop.

Hopefully I will get to hunt a little more next week but we are celebrating my Mother in Laws's 90th birthday this weekend, so I will have to wait until Monday. But I don't mind...I have been married 28 years and she has been a great MIL from day one. We will have over 40 relatives from all over the country coming in to help us celebrate.

14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Got a doe at 6:30, 10/08/11

50 more points for Team 14. :tu:
    (It's about time.)

15. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice chief. 4 scores in a week.
    Sounds like a lincoln speech.
    But seriously, way to go guys, we got this.

16. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw the pics, I was stalkin the thread when you first posted lol. Nice doe buddy.
    I did a little trash talking on team 6 and I think the little guy took it personal.
    Oh well.
    Gonna do everything I can to bring down #1 on my hit list wednesday.
    Good luck everyone.

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again LC. I'm sitting in the stand right now. Just watched a 4 pointer make a scrape and rub. Pretty neat.

18. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Well I should be heading out a bit this weekend and the last time I went I found a bunch of frshe scrapes and they seem to be hitting the acorns hard so we'll see what happens. In Chesapeake where I hunt gun season is in (season runs backwards with gun season opening Oct 1 and bow season opening Dec 1) and I have been taking my youngest son out a bit. I'm pretty bummed because we saw a couple last wednesday but couldn't get a shot then moved to a better tree and hunted it a couple days later and had 3 come out on us. He is shooting a .243 and I felt like he did everything right, he waited on a good shot and took a broadside shot at a big doe at about 70 yards. She went airborne and came down hard on her chest and responded like she'd been hit hard. Long story short she went into the thickest nastiest area on the property and when it got wet(mud, water, and reedbeds) we lost the blood after about 100 yards. I looked for 5 hours that night and several the next day with no luck.

Just didn't want his first deer to go that way. I have killed many deer with a .243 but in all honesty I shoot them in the neck but he is a novice shooter and I wouldn't have him try that and have taught him about a deers vitals and the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I am second guessing the .243 in the hands of a novice shooter simply because if you shoot a deer in the lungs with that tiny round and it doesn't break any bones it causes 2 problems the first being a relatively small entry/exit hole which can mean a spotty blood trail and the second being that a deer is so tough they can carry that wound a couple hundred yards or more before they finally die and in some areas that's just too far. It's hard enough to find a deer sometimes but when you add a spotty blood trail and a nasty swamp to the mix it gets much tougher.

Anyway sorry for the long rant it's just been bothering me. We resighted the gun with some 100 grain ballistic silver tips which I should have done to begin with so hopefully those will cause some more damage and I ordered him the Marlin spikehorn .30-.30 youth model. The recoil energy is rated almost the same as the .243 and the gun sets up better for our kind of hunting. The .243 imo is designed for flat shooting long range varmints/coyotes and yes it will kill deer but the .30-.30 can shoot 140-160 grain bullet which carries a ton of knock down power inside 150 yards which is what we need more than a gun that can shoot flat out to 300, I should have researched a little more from the beginning but I kind of made my decision simply on light recoil. Lesson learned.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  19. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    GOOD NEWS! BIG DOE DOWN in Wisconsin. 50 pts from me! This puts us in 2nd place currently (I think).

Time to get some bucks guys! I will be out again this weekend, hopefully BBD!
    Neal

20. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats neal, way to keep the Team 14 momentum going!!