***Official Team 12 Thread***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Spear, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is an aerial on our woods, this is private land but we do not own it. The top would be north. The green lines are all food plots varying from corn and soybeans to clover. The orange it an apple and pear orchard we planted 5 years ago. The blue is water, the two the west near the orchard we had dug. The yellow are rows of trees we planted 5 years ago. Oaks, maples and poplar trees, we wanted trees that would grow fast so we had something to hunt out of while the oaks where still to small. The state park is immediately on the other side of the road. We hold a lot of does because of our food plots and a couple bucks. When rut comes around the big bucks cruise our woods all the time. The big bucks that like to stay awhile bed to the old over grown pasture to the west and spend time in out food plots in the west end.

[​IMG]

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely!!!

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a 20 acre spot in NC and another 20 acre plot in Virginia. Both are mostly pasture with bordering and small patches of woods. I planted a couple 1/4 acre plots on both this year. I feed year round in NC and in Virginia until September 1 when it no longer legal. I'll start feeding again mid January once it's legal. I feed corn and alfalfa pellets. I keep mineral sites going as much as possible too. The spot in Virginia is a doe fawning area. Several does and fawn groups all summer. Want see any bone to get excited over till last week October when they start cursing.

NC has some nice bucks but I have not gotten any pics of the regulars who used to only be seen at night but I am hopeful they will slip up.

This weekend going to look at a club near by. They have antler restrictions of 8 points and wide as ears 15 inches.

4. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    Wow the a pretty strict antler restriction but I like it. Must be a private restriction?

5. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Need to do some yote hunting the next couple weeks on dad's farm. Must be a den close. Out of 900 pics 300ish were these bastards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trap and kill! That's a ton, definitely appears to be a den nearby.

7. BowBecca

BowBecca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow you are covered up in yotes. Well it sounds like you guys are all on your game. I reread the rules but hoping you could clarify something for me. My plan was to only shoot a 140+ this year and if I couldn't get that fill the freezer with doe. I know the bonus doe or small buck is worth 50 points but if I only killed does could I enter 2 for 100 points or just one at 50? Again my plan is for 140+ and a couple doe so I should be good for 190 but just wanting to make sure I understand.

8. BowBecca

BowBecca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An AR and thermal would do the trick too

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can only enter 1 doe for 50 points. You can enter 2 bucks, but the first buck killed must be used as your buck entry. The second buck you kill may be used as your doe entry (instead of a doe) but will still only count as 50 points, even if it scores bigger than your first buck.

10. BowBecca

BowBecca Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay thanks. That's what I thought. I would hate to only provide the team with 50 points but I can't see changing my hit list either. Guess I just need to lay down a good one.

11. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    Kill 'em all!!!

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    50 points is better than a goose egg. No shame in killing a doe. To me an old matriarch is a harder kill than a doped up nose to ground buck.

13. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:

14. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    I get half of a 100 acre farm thats on a good ridge to hunt. Its Ag on most of it with about 20 acres of woods that roll down into the holler. One good finger that gets close to the road to cross over to the other side of the farm. I just found out that there is a part of the property that i didn't know about thats on my side. So i need to get out there scout that out. I hate busting around the woods this time of year trying to figure out stand locations.

15. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New cableas opened over here and ive never been to one and goin today lol. Then maybe goin to bass pro then field and stream after lol hopefully i dont go overload on buying to much. Lol

16. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been camping for the last two days and just got home and i feel like I missed so many posts lol. 2 of our properties are 40 acre plots and the 3rd is 180 acres and is mostly one huge swamp with two food plots each of 5 acres in size. For the whole central Wisconsin area where their isn't woods or buildings there are AG fields, its awesome. Also near my home there are multiple little public spots all over the place if you know how to navigate the DNR website you can find a map of them. There are a few that seem to be incredible little honey holes.

17. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Went to the Ultimate Outdoor Expo in Lexington today. Pretty good show. A little disappointed in the archery side but all in all it was good. Bought a new knife. Damascus steel with ram horn and cow bone. Nice feel in my hand. Has gut hook also. Hopefully i get to put it to use this season.

18. PaBowhunter

PaBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Cabela's and bought a couple 17' ladder stands to bow hunt from this season. It seemed that last year when I hunted out of my hang on stands I wasn't as fond of heights as I used to be when I was younger. Do any of you guys bow hunt out of ladder stands? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to bow hunting out of ladder stands? I have only rifle hunted out of ladder stands before, so I didn't have to worry about getting deer close.

19. copperhead

Dislikes Received:

90% of the stands we hunt currently are ladders. I have had deer walk to the ladder and lick them before. I would however get it setup and in place a few weeks before you hunt so they get used to it. I Like a ladder because they are relativity easy to move and easy to get in and out of. Climbing into a hang on now that I am older I have a death grip. :) If it has upper rails I would leave them off if you can. They will get in the way if you have to shoot behind you. And there is also the chance you are going to smack the bottom of your limbs or cams if they are on too in the moment of heat. Rails are great for a rifle and cross bow but not so much for a bow.

20. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Well went to look at a Hunt club this weekend. Think I am going to give it a whirl but probably will not hunt it serious till next year. we will see. Hope everyone had a good weekend.