***Official Team 12 Thread***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Spear, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. Weekend warrior, and I usually sit all day because of time limitations. Mid week is tough for me since I'm up and gone at 4am. Hoping for a nice doe that I've got on camera. One scrawny pencil beamed 7 point is all the buck action I have. But if it comes down to it, he'll eat.

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm retired but so busy it's ridiculous. Looks like I'll start hitting the woods during mid-week days after the 17th of the month.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weekends for me too till last week of October. Current have last week of October scheduled off. Then I take Friday's off in November. Will miss this weekend more than likely though. :(

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind rain but I wish it would just be a light rain or mist, the high winds and heavy rain doesn't make for enjoyable hunting. And of course it's only hitting my area on the weekend...hunting time. BOOOO!

5. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that weird. A lot of retired people I talk to are busier after retiring then before. Haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly... I love retirement - but I'm involved in so many activities with organizations it's unreal.

Since retiring I opened my own consulting business, serve as the Chairman of our County Veterans Affairs Board, work as an Adjunct Faculty member at the State University of New York; Empire State College, and Coordinate a Visitation Ministry at our church. I am currently involved in spearheading a HUGE 'Salute to Veterans' event to be held for the southern tier of NY in November.

I don't know if it's from being dysfunctional, or the need to feel valued (after a company says you are considered 'too old' to work for them) after reaching a certain age. All I know is I'm more 'alive' now that I ever was when I was 'employed' at a large corporation.

And... now it's archery season! :jerry:

7. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Love to hear that Jerry. Keep it up brother. "Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old"

8. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled a card again today. One more spindly buck to add and several big greasy brisket does. Mmmmmmmmm I can hear em sizzle already.

9. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was in em last night for sure. Saw a bunch of deer but only ones that would come within range were little bucks got lots of good footage and I always like practicing on "non-target" deer. Headed back out now to the same spot, hopefully a doe does same thing all those little bucks did last night. Even though I didn't get a shot or anything, anytime I see that many deer on public land I really feel like I accomplished something.

That's awesome Jerry when you stop moving thats when you get rusty.

10. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya so I'm def not going tonight was all dressed and looked at my bow and saw this. I'm headed to the shop now guess I'm with the recurve for two weeks. image.jpg

I have no idea what happens I baby his thing and it's always always always in its case until I shoot it or go hunting I'm at a loss of words.

11. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry that happened. Did the shop get you fixed up? if its a good string you should be in order by tomorrow :tu:

12. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Made it out this evening. Saw my little buddy the spike again. Hopefully he sticks close by else someone is gonna whack him. Need to put some fertilizer on the turnips. Laptop battery was dead so did not get to look at cards. The number were low though. Only 18 pics in a week. Normally get like a hundred. Quick inspection verified my worries. The acorns are falling around the property. So they are in the woods now where I can't go. Thats ok they will be back once the acorn crop is depleted. and they start hitting the acorns trees that are in the fields I can hunt.

Its a game of patience. :tu:

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you saw it before you actually drew it back with an arrow nocked.

14. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup got in touch with hutch and he had a new string built and in the mail by this morning the shop said I should have it back no later then Wednesday which isn't to bad since I can make it in a tree again until Tuesday night.

15. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Im ashamed of myself. I pulled my shot last night on a doe and hit her far back.
    It was still within legal shooting hours, but because of the cloud cover it was getting to be low light so i packed up my gear and sat back down bow in hand for a few more minutes. About the time I was gonna call it, I saw a doe to my left, and steadily making her way behind me and down wind. When she went behind a tree I spun left in my seat and drew as she was stepping out. She made her way fully into the opening and stopped and looked at me at about 22 yards, as I was settling my pin. I tucked it just behind her shoulder in the lower third.
    No excuses I just plain pulled the shot. She ran off to the thicket she just came from and slowly entered it. I couldn't tell if the tail was tucked or not. After a lil bit i got down and went and found my arrow. Definite liver blood with stomach content. Backed out and came back early this morning with my wife and found her but not before the coyotes. It's heart breaking, wish I had a better explanation of it. It didn't feel like I did but I don't know how else to explain hitting that far back.

16. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happens to the best of us Bud... and it's both heart-breaking and gut-wrenching. Better luck next time :bow:

17. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jerry.

18. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Jeepwillys like Jerry said it happens to the best of us. The good news is she didn't really go to waste. Nature made a meal outta her.

19. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry bud, first deer I ever shot with a bow same thing happened to me its a pretty crappy feeling but good job in doing the right thing and backing out for the night a lot of people don't have the patience to do the right thing. Also its good to see you not making excuses for the bad shot and manning up. Now just next time redeem yourself and smoke one!

20. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are two kind of bowhunters, those who have made bad shots and those who haven't made a bad shot yet. Unfortunately, it happens. It's all a learning experience. You'll redeem yourself soon enough!