Official Maryland Battle of the States Thread

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by Holt, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I was going tomorrow. I'll be out Monday.

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got out tonight in the drizzle in Frederick county and saw 7-8 doe and another 4-5 bucks. I was about to draw back on the second buck that came in but he crossed the creek and looked right at me. Oh well, it was a new spot with good results. I'll be out Monday if the rain holds off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had to pour concrete this morning and hanging out with the kids tonight. But I WILL be out in the morning.

4. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been out the past three days and haven't seen a single deer. I don't know where they have all gone. Anyone going out tomorrow?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 3 day muzzleloader season started today, any one go out for it?

6. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Took my oldest boy out with the t/c tonight. We saw 4 does while siting on the ground behind a deadfall. One fawn actually came to about 10 yards but all 4 were in a direction I wouldn't let him shoot. There are a few houses that way and he understood and still had a great time. Taking my youngest out tomorrow night, Saturday I may go out on my own.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Ruger on the does! I was reading thru the live from the stand thread and saw you were laying down a couple. With all the deer movement did you get to see any bucks?

8. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...first frost on the shore had the deer moving this morning. Had three bucks and three does move past me. Buck were nothing big but it was good seeing them up and moving. Shot a doe last night but it was a marginal hit. I think I hit her front right leg. From what I can tell she clotted up and is still alive. I'm hoping anyway. Followed blood for three hours. Last 50 yards I was on my hands and knees finding specks, then ....poof nothing. Really hope she recovers.

9. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    One forky. I kept expecting something big to step out but it never happened.

10. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my weekend was pretty eventful. I had a really cool encounter with 2 1/2 year 8 pt. He was pushing a doe and she was having none of his antics. He stood broadside at 30 yards for about five minutes. Pretty sure he was testing me. He made a scrape and snort wheezed. The group of does that came in before him caught me drawing back on one of the big girls and didn't approve. They all stomped and did the head bob for about 2 minutes then went into thicker stuff. No shot but man I'm pumped to get back out there. I actually feel a virus coming on for Friday...think they call it deer-itus.

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe this weather! If you guys are hunting this weekend, I would be in a stand Friday and Saturday. It's supposed to be a high in the 40's, I can't wait! I hope this kicks off the rut.

12. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took off Friday and will be out Saturday as well. Can't wait!! :bow:

13. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Will definitely be out Friday afternoon and maybe all day Saturday. Then one more week of work and off the next.

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got to work Friday then have my kid all evening, but have all day for Saturday and Sunday. Cant wait, my rut stands are set and ready. This might be my only chance to get a buck because work is getting crazy!

15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a 8 pt slob walk by at 60 yards last night. I walked up to a tree last night and stood there for 10 minutes and could not convince myself to climb it so I moved back 50 yards and setup in a different tree. And wouldn't you know 30 minutes before dark this beast walked by that tree at 10 yards! Go figure. Wish I would have listened to my gut.

16. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Holt have you seen any chasing yet? All I have seen so far is young bucks pushing does around, nothing else.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ruger, I have not seen a thing yet. I did notice some scrapes popping up, and the last few sits I have not seen a doe. But every sit I do see multiple bucks. The night I saw the big boy, I had another 8 pt come by first and as he walked by the big 8 came out of a thicket to confront him and the smaller 8 ran from him. That is the most action I have seen. A few people in the club have shot bucks last week and said they were seeing chasing and another guy said he watched a mature buck mount a doe 2 weeks ago.

18. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    I hope things blow wide open starting Saturday, this is the first year in a while I haven't been in Ohio for the rut and I am wishing I was.

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet Saturday will be crazy! Temps over the night will be in low 30's and only reach mid 40's during the day. I bet it will be the best day of the year. Last year on this weekend I had my best sit of the year, had my #1 buck come in 2 times in one day. The 2nd time he came in to chase off a buck and bristled up with his ears back and snort weezed, was the best sight I have ever seen while deer hunting!

20. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody gonna hunt in the rain tomorrow? Thinking I will if we don't work.