***Official Live From the Stand Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 22, 2021.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You never know a fallow field will hold a number of deer with the right native brush.....or native seed spread

tdk5525 likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you're feeling a bit better!!

dmax4me likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those unlucky clothes needed to go. Me right now. :)

jim-carey.gif

tdk5525, Tony, dmen and 6 others like this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I thought that was Joe for a minute! Scary!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    416107B3-B930-4715-BD03-D934362BD083.jpeg
    A little late getting up and in for the evening shift, but thankfully was able to slip out of work early. First sit in this stand this year, it’s not where I wanted to be hunting but the wind isn’t right for my best spot. Really thick in here since most of the trees are still holding their leaves, light breeze so hopefully I’ll hear them coming. Good luck to anyone else getting after it tonight!

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, wasn't my initial goal, but saod the other night Tuesday afternoon would see my goals start dropping. Very pleased with him though, going to make an awesome Euro. Never had one done with beetles before.

Back home, deer is at the processor, head is at another awaiting beetles and clothes are in the wash.

Wish I could tell some amazing story, but it's really kind of boring so I'll just recap the day, which is also kinda boring :lol:

Got to the property a bit early, got dressed and was going to go down and swap cards in the camera and view the one before leaving. I really wanted to know if that 6 x ? had come back yesterday or at all. Was hoping maybe he could be hunted after all. I pulled the card and ditched the idea of viewing there and headed down to the stand. Coyotes were singing this morning and a deer blew as I made my way. No clue if at me or not as they were blowing while I was still up at truck.

Get to stand and start watching the videos from trail camera, that buck I bumped never returned. Never really anticipated he would, but had to know. Instead, at 9:15 another buck showed up and worked the scrape. My "impromptu blind) is to the right side, had I been in it I could have shot him before he reached the scrape and had a fairly cool video. Watching at home on a bigger screen he isn't as good as I thought, looks like right G1 is an inch or so and left is busted. Almost wondered if it is the buck I passed last Wed. while on stand. Similar, but I don't think so?

Anyhow, I sit until 7:30 and having not seen anything decided to climb down and move to that scrape blind. Didn't bump a single deer, that's very weird for that time of morning, an hour after sunrise. Sat in the blind until 9am and couldn't help but wonder what had been cruisig through the stand I left. Went back, again did not bump a single deer. Tried to refresh the forums for something to read and pass time. I literally have to use the key FOB trick, where you hold the FOB up to your chin while pressing the button and it "supposedly" works from a greater range. This actually worked for a cell signal, would take 45 seconds or longer but eventually go online and I could refresh the page to read new content. Then if wanting to reply, I could type it out then try to get signal and hit send.

So there's why my lack of posting has been, and explains some rants.

So the morning drags along, no deer, no nothing. I start contemplating moving back to the scrape or go back to the NW corner where I'd have a stronger signal and wind works. Just before 11 as I was about to grab quiver I look up and see him coming down the old overgrown path in front of me. Told myself not a shooter first, then counted points and thought it was 8, and for some reason looked darker than it ended up being. He turned the corner broadside and I drew back. He seen my movement and stopped and stared at me. Arrow sent. I could hear and see him at times briefly. I seen him topple over and thought that was it, but he got back up and then went silent. I got down and got arrow and looked at POI, good blood on both sides and a clump of hair. Went up and got 4 wheeler and knife/saw.

Found him right away without following trail, just went to where I knew I seen him. He had gotten back up and circled back downhill about 12 feet. Went back and got @tdk5525 some blood pictures, took the contest pictures and rest has been told.

I rough scored him at 157 and change, really like @S.McArthur's format, them numbers add up quick.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went back to ultimate camo and the boonie, worked for me

dmax4me, dnoodles and virginiashadow like this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shooter is in front of me in some real nasty stuff. Not with a doe but not responding to any calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try the butt grunt that was deemed worthy by the fine fellas from Letterkenny

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got burned by a mature 6 pt
    SOB :rant:

12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He’s been messing with me for like an hour. Way too thick to see in but have heard him grunt every once in a while.

Might get out tomorrow morning. Not sure yet.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Retirement wearing on you?

Hope ya get to feeling better!!

LittleChief and MUDSHARK like this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, he has no spread to him. Kind of a shame. He was a heavy sumbitch though, I need to do something for loading deer. I'm still physically strong enough, just not structurally sound anymore.

I'm either going to get some sort of bed/hitch hoist or use some plywood as a ramp on my 4 wheeler ramps and rig a rope to use 4 wheeler to pull up and in.

20211109_114608.jpg

He was either a scrapper or got his ass kicked pretty good. That firthest backnine was like today fresh, was still wet nit dried out like the others.

20211109_112931.jpg

Shot was slightly back from aim, but still deflated both lungs. 1" forward is where I have been aiming since 2012, eff that crease and front shoulder.

20211109_112914.jpg

20211109_112901.jpg

15. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Live from the couch. Icing the ole knee.

16. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    like the mass !!!!! nice shot placement

use the a winch, have up and over the rear of the wheeler and pull it up on the back???!!!!

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doubt I can get a deer and the wheeler in bed at same time, not by myself anyway. Would have to put deer on side of 4 wheeler and strap to it.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone think his face looks awfully grey? That's why when I found him I thought he could be 4 1/2. Found it odd

tdk5525 likes this.
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Talking about the deer, not the hunter, for all you smart asses :lol:

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very happy for you man. You work hard and deserve the success on your vacation.

MUDSHARK likes this.