***Official Live From the Stand Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BMX is responsible for appx. 75% of my emergency room trips before the age of 12. I was there so often the nurses used to put my parents in separate rooms for interviews to make sure I wasn't being abused.

...it just occurred to me that maybe I just wasn't very good and that carried over into adulthood mountain biking.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your not kidding! Some my worst injuries are from the bike and I still hurt to this day! Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get ready to get after it this year, just got my new bow setup and shooting good. Still only have one cam out up camp. Gonna try to take advantage of some cooler weather this week and get some things done at my props. I got a new urban spot that is part of a deer reduction program, so looking forward to letting some arrows fly! I’m going into this year with less pressure to get things “perfect” and to locate specific deer and just hunt with the lil free time I’ll prob have. Good luck all

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've notice that alot of ex bmx riders go to mountain bike. I strictly ride single speed. It's the closest thing I can find to being a kid and just ride a bike. Don't know if you every tried single speed, but it's alot of fun!

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to race MX, a lil while back I bought another bike and got back into it. I rebuilt the motor and got it all hooked up. I gave it hell, but my body just couldn’t hang like it used to. I used to be able fo ride for 8 hrs practicing and wake up and do it again with no hesitation. I hit the track for 2 hrs and when I woke up the next day I felt like I got into a car wreck. It’s def a dedication to get back into physical activities, I sold the bike and bought a boat. Best decision I made, beers n fishing is the life for me.

6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    just our Peloton, and believe me that is not fun.
    But it is a helluva workout and while it does hurt at least it's not the injury kind of hurt.

Anyhoo...

back to the hunt prep talk. I flung a few last weekend. Shot fine at first, I'm just out of shape and I was already sore from working out and working in the yard (picked up and spread 65 bags of mulch) so my form started to go to crap after about maybe 15 shots. Put her away because I didn't want to start messing with my gear or my head. Surest way to get the yips is to force yourself to shoot when your body just isn't cooperating.

I started at 30 and could have covered the first 4 with a baseball so after that I knew it wasn't the bow.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you guys have any goals for your self this year?

Think I'm going to take out longbow again this year. Also I have a couple spots that I want to try and hunt from the ground. Haven't shot a deer from the ground in quite a few years and want to try that more.

tdk5525 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be doing my usual out of state hunt in Ohio during the rut but I'd like to get really outside of my comfort zone and try a public land hunt there as well. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker and Holt like this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why I thought this was so funny but I happened to realize that if you scroll just right, when you read an @Justin post it looks like this:

upload_2021-6-23_7-23-22.png

tdk5525, airenlow, cantexian and 4 others like this.
  10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!!!!

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Kill a deer in at least 3 states.
    Bonus points if I accomplish this without getting divorced.

12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is the same as it has been for the past 5 years. I want to shoot a 3+-year-old buck in the same woods my dad got it done. I feel confident that this is the year. Last year was my most successful season though I didn't kill anything. I saw 4 bucks total, and felt like I was in the game almost every hunt. 4 bucks doesn't sound like a lot, but to put things into perspective, my dad hasn't seen a deer in a hunting situation in the past two seasons. This is the reality of where I hunt. It's all I know, and prefer it that way. Everything is earned.

tdk5525 and Holt like this.
  13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Joe and his Dad:

[​IMG]

tdk5525, Holt and Swamp Stalker like this.
  14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man this year feels different in many ways...last year was the first fall without my parent's homestead property after years of always having (they sold)...we now are facing at best having to share another piece or lose it despite we being the only ones that do any work (mow, plantings, plots) and such for the owner....and we also lost half of another property as well. Been a two year run now of dwindling properties to hunt and no new ones picked up.

Have over 80 properties circled to write or visit to discuss permissions but work and parenting have just made it tough to get around to.

Couple that with a slight priority shift in my life away from hunting due to my son, job and focusing more on growth of my role in the church as well...makes hunting not be in the driver's seat as much as it once was.

Still planning on getting it done this fall hopefully on another 4 year old or older buck, put a doe or two in freezer and find at least one more piece of ground between now and then. All Lord willing.

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on your quest for the new properties but I thought you bought your own a few years back

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my 22 acres is about all we have that is within reason a "controlled" environment hunter wise on it and ability to do stuff. The other now 2 we have are becoming more headaches each year

17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO!!! We've hunted other places, but it's not the same. We love these woods, lots of memories. It makes me appreciate every encounter so much more. Even an encounter with a yearling doe makes it an amazing hunt. Once I'm done with school, I'll most likely only hunt a week or 10 days a year out in the midwest somewhere.

dnoodles likes this.
  18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man it happens. I went through a time in my life that I didn't hunt for almost 6 years. Just had other prioritys. But hunting is in your sole and the passion can fire back up anytime. You never know when the next big property jumps up!

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Joe every time I hear you talk about the property you hunt, part of me wants to take on the challenge and come up there to hunt. Then the other part is saying, why would I want to put myself through that! Lol. Stay strong and keep pecking away at it, the pieces will fall together soon!

tdk5525, Swamp Stalker and dnoodles like this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Standing invite to MI deer camp. I guarantee I can put you on multiple fork horns and the occasional 2.5 yo basket 6 or 8 at the edge of your range comfort. And all that in the most heavily-pressured public land you will ever find.

You barely even have to watch out for discarded needles in the parking lots.