***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2020***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MnHunterr, Aug 18, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ps...... just at close I had 2 doe and 4 fawn skirt the farm field on the edge of our woods . Popped out of pines and ran along wood line to the gully. I thought I'd see a buck coming up the rear but no they were just spooky. Wsw wind and they wer to my south so something has them on edge..probably buck...

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

cls74 likes this.
  3. SkylarPreston

SkylarPreston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like an absolute s**t show. Best of luck to you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cls74 likes this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    clothes are drying by fan. I just need to remember to grab them in the morning before I leave!! I'm mentally prepared to embrace the suck in the morning. I hate the rain.....

5. 127wat

127wat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had a doe and fawn stroll by after I get busted by the 3 does earlier and that was it for the afternoon.

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man!

cls74 likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I woke up at 12:45
    am and was cat napping for 10-15 minutes and awake for about the same until the alarm went off at 3:02. I shut it off and tried to sleep then the next 9ne went off at 3:08, shut it off and tried to sleep, then the last alarm went off at 3:12. Shut it off and laid there.

Finally got up at 3:20 after checking weather where I hunt and made my post here. Hit the shower, fed the dog and hit the road.

Got to property at 5am and was getting dressed while giving Aunt's dog some beggin' strips, weird dog, very timid but doesn't bark or follow you to stand which is nice. About 5:15 the dog starts looking back like something is there, then hear the rumbling of another vehicle and start contemplating where I should pick to sit on the ground until everyone leaves mid morning. Drives on by and heads to the end of the drive. Thought maybe my aunt got a new vehicle and was just getting back in town or something.

Anyhow, ended up being one other hunter and he was wanting to sit a tree I would rather sit tomorrow so we both sat where we had planned.

Got in stand and made the honorary post here stating such, then signal forces me to abndon the thread. Have to barely hold phone at yop and hold out in open until I get a signal, type out post then repeat for signal, hit post, then repeat for signal to post. Not worth it.

See my first deer at legal light. 100yds away and big bodied, should have been able to see a rack if it was a full rackz so chalked ut up to spike/fork or ungodly doe. 6:10am'ish.

Nothing......

As I am freezing wish for my insulated suit and contemolating going home, I get a perk and this guy walks out at 25 yds, comes in to 7yds then goes behind me and walks off, then runs after I grunted at him. Funky 9, basket 8 with a split brow.

20201111_085102.jpg

Have two coming down hill in front of me at 9:30 blow out of there.

Seen another 2 1/2 come out ahead of me but turned and went other way, then heard squirrel about 11:35 and looked over to see it was an antlerless, seen movement and 7yds behind was another 2 1/2 buck out to his ears. Woyld have probably shot him given the chance but wind shifted, as it always does and he took a few leaps back into the woods. She fed behind me for 20 mintues

20201111_114007.jpg

Something wasn't right though, kept seeing nobs on her head. Finally feeds to me and its indeed a button buck. Think back to the 2 1/2 following him and could only mutter "2020"

20201111_115914.jpg

Fast forward to 1pm. The buck I shot comes out 50'ish yds ahead, but rather than turn toeards me and come out to the open area, he cuts across the trail(red in image) and stays behind the shrubbery, blue. Seeing what the 2 young bucks did last week I knew where he was going to come out and coyld see flashes of rack. All I seen when he crossed the trail was tine, compared to body size I thought he was big and was going to shoot when he came out. He approaches a 12 foot wide opening to my upper right and I stop him where red line is at 46 yds. By far my longest shot at a deer with a vertical bow. I draw back and he steps out walking fsst. I MEH him and he stops and looks my way, still looked good although I was focusing on a pin I normally don't but he was completely in my sight window.

Red is a trail in the thick stuff that runs esst off the property. Usually they hit it and tunr towards me. Not this year

20201111_175612.jpg

20201111_175703.jpg

I let it fly, shot looled great but maybe a hair back, but I knew it was true. I don't hug tight to the shoulder.

Could hear him running the whole way, then a thrashing sound, then the loudest wood thud I've ever heard on a deer death run. Then silence. I feared he busted himself up.

Got back onnthe teail easy to follow and seen him piled up 35yds from POI. I actually had to see if he was warm because I couldn't believe he was that much smaller than i thought. 2 other bucks have been shot this year and not recovered. It was him. His left G2 either stopped or busted off at some other time at an acorn like knob.

I usually guess on the small side and was surprised. No shame, just the first time I really messed up on the field judge.

20201111_134225.jpg

20201111_134035.jpg

20201111_134027.jpg

cantexian, early in, JeffC and 17 others like this.
  8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck man. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cls74 likes this.
  9. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CLS that’s a great buck congratulations

cls74 likes this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I'll get a better picture tomorrow, but in the center picture of my last post, that split brow on the left side, it has some funky stuff going on where the points and beam intersects, almost like the acorn on the G2, kinda looks hollowish or something. Never seen anything like it.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I also learned today that I cannot haul an adult deer and my 4 wheeler at the same time. Had to leave 4 wheeler there and darn near killed myself trying to figure that out and then load the deer into the truck by myself. Scratched the hell out of my tailgate with his antlers. Luckily it is only the tailgate

12. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Well, got the funeral over with and drove back to O-H-I-O. Honestly, after all that I was just ready to stay home and forget the rest of the season. I might have too but my hunting partner pushed me to come back. So here I am and feeling a little better now but it was an emotionally draining day. Tomorrow morning I will indulge in a little treestand therapy.

13. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Hope you shoot your personal best!!

14. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats CLS. Sweet buck

cls74 likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jim, I wish you the best. Slow down and take in the sights and sounds of the woods. It will help.

16. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brett. Best of luck to you as well.

17. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!! I’d shoot him all day everyday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cls74 likes this.
  18. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    congrats cls way to go!!

cls74 likes this.
  19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    excellent recap cls.

I'm on a few days break. Got burnt out after the last weeks stint. Aint 25yo anymore.
    One more 4_5 day stint then it'll just be whenever I feel like it.
    I'm probably like most here. I just "wanna kill a decent buck but I've gotta refrain. I don't really need anymore 3.5 year old 130ish bucks on the wall..
    But I will shoot an old buck even if he scores low..
    Our rifle season is on now and I'm sure some bucks I've seen have already got whacked or will be.
    Oh well, some old bucks always seem to make it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    early in, tdk5525, kyner and 3 others like this.
  20. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers are with you Jim, as Brett said time in the woods will heal the soul

pastorjim08 likes this.