***Official Catch 22 - Team 22 Thread!!****

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Battle734, Aug 16, 2015.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm super pumped to finally get out to start my 2015 season. I'm not sure if I'll shoot a doe at first sight, This spot is a safe haven for does, as it's on top of a hill. to the north of me is all saplings (2 to 3 in circumference), to the east is half field and half pasture grass. then to the west of me is all flat bottom land (marsh style). Finally, to the south of me is more bottum land, but so thick with undergrowth one can barely walk through it. Now I normally don't hunt this spot until shotgun season, as I allow my co-hunter to sit here. he only gets to hunt 1 or 2 days a year. He has always shot does on his first sit. This year he will sit there on Saturday, and I'll sit north of him at the edge of property where the saplings end about 15 yard prior to a galley and another field edge. I've had this stand there for 2 years and have never hunted it. I'm going to sit in it on Saturday (I think).

I've been sitting at work this morning watching Bowhunt or die and writing down my packing list for tomorrow. the first day out is always the best and worst day for me. I bring to many things and forget to many things. once arriving at the property I always take too much time getting dressed and everything in order for my long and tasking walk through this swamp like property carrying my Muddy stand with my climbing sticks, my back pack, and my bow. I normally dress as lite as possible into the woods then dress after I'm in stand.

Last year I was late getting in and setting up. I could hear creatures walking around me as I was climbing the tree. I was snorted 3 times before I ever got into my stand. I could barely make out a large mass under my stand, but the sniffing I could hear perfectly, and again followed by more snorting. it wasn't until day light when I could see the white of tails every time the wind shifted to the west. I soon gave up any urge to sit all day for a buck and settled for a doe. Hopefully, this years sit will be more productive and much more fruitful.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

3. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checked some cameras today In between my morning and afternoon sits and wow there all kinda new deer in the area! Allot of 140 inch deer and there's one that caught my attention... No idea what he'd even score but he's a stud , and I am getting some good daytime activity so that's a good sign! This peice of land is very pressured so I have no idea how long a buck like this will hang around but I hope he stays long enough for me to at least see him! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1446698406.812674.jpg

4. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang! That thing is a freak! Hope you get to see him.

5. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    WOW!That's one set of crazy horns! Sounds like good spot! Crossing my fingers for you to encounter crazy horns there!

6. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's definitely one of the coolest looking deer I know around there, He's just a freak !

7. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Well so far today is looking to turn out empty handed. I'm haven't seen a thing

8. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry team I had a massive 12 Pointer 30 yards broadside and I waited for a clearer shot and I lost my opportunity man he was beautiful

9. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    FML seriously

10. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow tough luck bro. Been there before. Never know might get another chance!

11. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I was on the ground sneaking out when I noticed many larg rubs but then I noticed they were fresh as i thought about it I said heck he's probably bedding right here right now. I began scanning the area then let out a few grunts and waited a little while. Then I started sneaking away but after about 30 yards I turned around to give it another glance and there he was walking right to where I was standing moments ago. I froze and as began to leave I hit the grunt call again he turned and went all the way to the edge of the opening but he knew I was there. He kept lifting his head up to try and catch me. The whole time he was upwind of me. But h finally had enough and blow at me then went back to his doe that was bleating the entire episode. The whole experience was mesmerizing

12. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    That would have been awesome video

13. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I forgot my gopro. You no idea how much I wanted to pull phone out

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally on my way to hunt for the next week. It's time to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    I bet! This is the first year I haven't taken camera with me. Would have had some neat video as I saw deer 6 out of 7 sits!

16. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a similar experience with a buck on the ground! I Grunted and snort wheezed and was looking for him on top of the hill where I last seen him and after I put my binos down he was 10 yards to my left in the wide open ! Man that was not a good feeling seeing those big antlers barreling over the briars ! ..... This weekend looks good guys, it's going to be about 20 degrees cooler then it was all week , still going to be in the mid fifties but that's a whole lot better then 75 degrees ! Time to get my buck tag filled and help the team out, I've got off this Friday and then I'm hunting Saturday to if I don't connect tomorrow! Wish me luck guys!

17. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same as Galen. Hunting these next two days. All day sits. Looking forward to hopefully seeing bucks instead of just the glimpses that I've had.

18. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rainy morning but things are looking good for this afternoon and tomorrow ! It's a bit windy right now and the temps are allot cooler then it was all week !! Sitting beside some great bedding area on a ridge hoping to catch a buck cruising the downwind side scent checking for does!

19. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Skipped out of work early & crawled into the stand. Saw 2 bucks & a 3rd deer. Would love to sit out in the morning but Pops is coming to sight in his rifle. Knowing him, he will be here at 0800 if not earlier!

20. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been hunting during this heat wave but I've been paying close attention to cams. This is by far the worst year I've had with cams but I got a new property this summer and went to check some cams on it a few days ago. Well I get down there and meet up with the land owner only to find out his wife "has grown fond of the deer" and doesn't want me to hunt them. Mind you they've been to my house and seen the kind of deer I chase so they know the does and small guys are off limits. They complain every time I'm down there about trespassers and that is actually how I got the property to begin with. I run surveillance and in return I can hunt it. Not the case now..... oh and the owner complains he found a ground blind on his property the other day so he's excited to see what's on my camera. Well no trespassers but a 135"+ 8 pt and a solid 145-150" 10 pt walking around in daylight. Now I'm really irritated bc I finally have respectable deer to hunt and cant. Sorry for the rant.... we win some, we lose some. Looks like its going to be a tough year but I will continue to grind it out. I'm sure I'll find something that will trip my trigger still. Hope everyone else is doing better than me!!!