*Official 2014 - Battle of the States Competition Rules & Sign Up*

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by tynimiller, Jul 14, 2014.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only sound the Hoosiers are gonna make is when they drop a deuce in their pants.

Let the games begin!

2. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still can't believe iowa doesn't have more people on this forum. So far have only seen 2 Iowa boys sign up. I know there are a couple more out there.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you think I feel! I'm the only guy from NJ to sign up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your team is snake bit.

5. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well the thread says sign up, so Im in. If I need to go else where to sign up for this, someone let me know please! Go Wisconsin!!

7. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I understand what this contest is.........the winner is the state with the highest avg buck score of all it's hunters?

LOL that eliminates about 90% of us from having any chance of winning if I am reading it correctly, especially since zeros are allowed to be dropped as that would be the ONLY hope non big buck states would have to win.

Spoiler Alert----------> The winner will be Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, or Ohio.

Unless only a single hunter enters from another state and kills a slob.

I must be missing something else to the scoring as you don't need a contest to know the states that will produce the highest avg buck scores year in and year out.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks to be in one of the other states then. :lol:

9. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

I don't get it........what is the point of a "contest" between states when it's way easier to kill a big buck in the states I listed. I don't see what the results will show other then what we all already know. Especially with the dropping of zeros for guys who didn't score, that all but guarantees a predictable outcome.

That's what makes the main contest fair and fun for all.........mixed states on all squads to balance the odds.

Unless I am reading it wrong??

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is only the first year and adjustments to scoring may or may not occur next year...but ultimately this is all for fun! Some things that set it apart is it is a buck only contest....also it is separated by states (or regions if state is lacking members)...and not every zero will be dropped just 1 every 5 members.

There is no way to satisfy everyone...and nor will I attempt, but figured it would be a fun to throw the state thing into a contest. Glad you aren't in Indiana Atlas...debbie down to the max :)

11. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Not trying to be negative as the idea isn't terrible and it could work and be fun but what you are failing to realize is the no does, dropped zeros and stacked states are ALL working in favor of big buck states. You don't need a contest for that, just read the P+Y entries for the year and avg them out LOL

You say you have no desire to satisfy everyone? LOL.........that is a recipe for disaster. Again, that is what makes the main contest so popular. EVERY guy feels like they can contribute.

Guys aren't going to keep entering a "contest" they have no chance of competing in. That's why your participation is running less then 50% of the main contest even with your broader acceptance.

Unless you go regional or split up all the corn belt states and randomly draw states to pair with them it will just be a short lived confirmation of what everyone already knows. There are fewer hunters and plenty more big bucks in the Midwest. LOL.......what a shock!!

Hope you figure it man, could be fun.

12. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's running 50% less because the main contest has a participation rate of about 50% so whats the difference?!? Whats it matter if you got 500 people entered and only 250 participate.

Just because X state leads the P&Y list every year doesn't mean any of those hunters are visiting BH.com. All about the people who enter and the bucks they are after. Just because my buddy shoots a 160 inch buck every year (he doesn't but if he did) doesn't mean I have a shot in hell to harvest anything north of 150 - try and follow my logic.

The draw here is your ability to represent your state with fellow hunters from your state.

Is any contest on here really about winning and losing? You really think that matters at the end of the day? Come on... In other words, who cares if you lose to the "big buck states" it doesn't even matter.

So participate and have fun or find something else to do...

13. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Yes........not in a serious way by any means but for shats and giggles and bragging rights certainly.

No one will care.......that's my point, you don't need a "contest" to find out its easier to kill a big buck in Kansas and Iowa then it is in New Jersey and Florida. If it doesn't matter then why bother??.....we already have a contest where everyone can participate on an equal platform and have fun with fellow members.

We already have ;)

I just simply asked what the point was...........no need to get riled up.

14. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats about as riled up as I get.

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No one asked you to join, either get in line or gtfo.

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course certain states will get bigger bucks, but it's not automatic either. I don't recall it I'm pretty sure even in the big contest alot of the guys in those states aren't putting down monsters year after year. Not to single anyone out or seem like it's not a accomplishment but if I remember right TJ (tacklebox) put down a 130-140 last year and he definitely has much bigger deer running around. I've lived in Illinois and even hunted Pike Co all my life and don't put down giants or even see them every year.

Truthfully it really doesn't matter who wins, it's all for fun. Yea one of the obvious states will probably win. Myself personally didn't join to win I joined to be able to talk to more people on here that normally dont. Also why do the deer, shed, or whatever contest.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

17. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand why anyone would be so negative about a contest that is just for fun. I'm hunting Louisiana so I know I have a snowballs chance in hell of winning this thing, but I also know of two absolute monsters killed within 30 miles of me that would rival any buck in any state. The way I see it, by joining a contest like this I have the chance to get even more joy out of killing a deer like them, if I were to be so lucky.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas.....this contest has tighter restraints on joining unlike the other one (year membership basically not just some small post count done in a day).

Also this contest is 100% about just expanding the number of guys we get to know through this site and have fun representing your state or region at the same time.

19. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly, we always have a few certifiable monsters running around here and I had one last year that circumstances
    just didn't allow me to take so I ended up harvesting what would have been a 139 deer if not for some junk and heavy bases. Just because some guys in good states have slobs running around doesn't mean they will have the best team average. One person on a team could lay the hammer down on a monster and change the entire landscape of the contest...like say Nevada or Florida. What if someone on a team like that traveled to one of the big buck states for instance.

The system can be refined, ain't gonna be perfect the first time around, it'll be fun in the mean time.