Offering my property and barndominium to bow hunters in Ohio

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Addy, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Addy

Addy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at 118 acres to purchase in southern Ohio close to the Scioto/Adams county area. It’s in a very rural area with 100’s of acres surrounding me, some owned by homeowners, others by the Scioto land company. I have an awesome 2 bedroom second home (barndominium) on the property as well with all amenities. I was considering ways to generate income on the property. I don’t hunt but would like to open the property up (around 110 acres) and the barndominium to bow hunters only offering 4 weeks, late oct-nov, 3-4 day hunts of bow hunting, two hunters per week, exclusively to these 8 guys with rights to come back every year and then shut it down from everyone for the remainder of the year. With profits using them to help pay for the property but also develop the land adding more food plots, adding fruit & nut trees (crab apple, persimmon, apple trees and chestnut) tree stands, deer blinds, better access roads, trail cameras, develop a deer sanctuary towards the center of the property, and a four wheel drive truck to retrieve the deer.
    In my vision I would have a working relation with my 8 guys, keep them updated on the property and the work being performed as well as brainstorming on ways to make their hunt more successful. I would be sharing pictures and having open discussions because I want them to be successful and for me to be successful as well. What kind of price range for something like this is reasonable in southern Ohio? Would there be a lot of interest in something like this? Any info or creative criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Ldsturg likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, you'd be better off leasing the property to a small group of hunters and allowing them to hunt it for the full season rather than smaller groups of people for shorter durations. It's hard to find people who only want to hunt a place for a couple of days per year. Especially on that size property. Without knowing the area I'd say you're going to have anywhere from 2 to 5 "good" bucks pass through the property each season. Having 8 hunters competing on the same property for those few animals is going to be tough.

Just my 2 cents.

w33kender, WillO and Suncrest08 like this.
  3. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never seen Todd or Justin do any Ohio hunting. Being from Ohio it would be cool to see you two venture out to my neck of the woods to track down some great Ohio whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And this sounds like a great spot for you to start. Heck I’d let ya come join me on my property for a season if you could help me track down a beast lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin is spot on. You might not get the commutative sum but a core group is more likely to pass more deer to advance the age group and not blow out the land sending the deer nocturnal from pressure. They also would if allowed be likely to assist in habitat advancements. Acting as eyes on the ground.

WillO likes this.
  6. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For sure lease it to a small group annually not individuals short term. They will take care of it much better (or should do!) by managing the land.

w33kender and Ldsturg like this.
  7. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have been doing a similar setup for the last 10 years. There were 4 of us leasing two 150 ac farms for a week until one farm was sold. The land owners only leased the land to other groups by the week from the last week in October to thanksgiving. Two hunters per week. We see plenty of deer and have harvest several nice bucks.

8. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sure you will get some interest, it’s really about connections, I try to fill 10 weeks a year 5-8 per. Once you fill it up it will fill itself.

G.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eight hunters could over-hunt 100+ acres quickly imo. Four would even be pushing the envelope.

10. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Y
    yeah I think more than two a week would be too many.

11. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just to be clear, my numbers were for 1000 acres not 100. So I agreed with the consensus 1-3 hunters max

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    031DC7E9-2E92-49E5-9FA9-4E66EEC58184.png
    Second highest per acre rate right behind Iowa and right ahead of Illinois/Missouri. You shouldn’t have a problem finding someone but finding the right someone is the key. As others said I wouldn’t play outfitter and sell 3-5 day hunts to different parties. I think you’d be asking for a lot of drama and headaches. If you find the right party you will have a great owner/tenant relationship that might last for as long as you own it. Heck we’ve done probably 60-70% of the work involved for the landowner to enroll the land we hunt into the new program it’s going into. Of course we don’t pay but still I’d be willing to work anyway.