NYS Shed hunting

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by quickstick, Jan 11, 2018.

1. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone in NYS ever have much luck with finding sheds? I’ve only tried it a few times & never found any. As I’m not in ag country, those tactics won’t work. Suggestions of where & when to start looking would be very appreciated

2. Fix

Fix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wait until march, ( geo) pending. First cloudy day after the snow leaves is a great plan..... And if you are considering going now because of the warm front, DONT. A few might have dropped but don't risk it.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your in western NY...save your unless your looking for exercise

4. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I’m not planning on looking for sheds yet as like you said most probably haven’t dropped yet. But this weekend I do need to check some trail cams & really need to find different locations for stands. All of the decent bucks disappeared at the beginning of bow season. So I’m in the wrong places. There’s one place that’s super thick and probably a great bedding area, but I’ve never been in it. No trees for stands but thinking I can back track from the beds to an area with trees that could hold a stand.

I might be looking to soon but something has to change. My desire for sheds is partly for rattling as the plastic ones just don’t sound right and to see if any of the nicer bucks are still around. That an wait until spring.

5. Fix

Fix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All valid but I would not go into woods at all for a bit. After they all drop then I'll be going in personally to move stands and begin my scout season.
    There is no substitution for real bone when rattling! This is truth!