NY food plots

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Fix, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So boys, we all know New York is a little different when it comes to killing Whitetails. So I would like to talk about food plots. What does everyone use and what works and what doesn't. I wanna hear successes and failures.
    I am trying alpha rack plus this year and am just about to spray it with raptor to eliminate the weeds. It's looking great so far but I feel that is due to the 7.0 soil and the way the plot holds no standing water.
    Soooooo..... Whatcha got

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I"ve never done a food plot in NY... however, I do know guys who have luck w/t Brasacus and alfalfa.

3. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best food plot for me in NY (southern Adirondacks area) is the corn field on the farm. Only problem is the farmer harvests like 3-4 days before bow season every year. The Alfafa on the farm doesn't get touched. I have ben having the hardest time figuring out what the heck these deer are munching on. Too much food all over the place and water everywhere too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All this rain is killing me! Lots of crops are underwater for sure now.

5. whydidyousaveme41

whydidyousaveme41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just seeded my first ever food plot yesterday. Late, I know, but I just got the property. Brassicas, clover, rye. I can't remember the brand. got it at Cabelas. I have no clue what I'm doing. But this is my 21st post!

6. Adenhill

Adenhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I put in a 3 acre plot one year of winter rye and they loved it. Have had smaller clover plots as well. Turnips and radishes are great but deer don't touch em until very late in the season here. But I have never seen deer pour into a field as I have with 30 acres of winter wheat. It was in western New York, surrounded by large agricultural croplands like apples, corn, soybeans, etc... Yeah they ate that stuff as well but when I say there were 50 deer in the plot every evening and 20 of them were bucks, that makes for an interesting sit. I'd say that winter wheat is the ticket. End of the season when snow is on and temps are frigid was the best time to hunt this plot. Can be put in in the Spring or the Fall.