***November Reign - Team 17***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by 1jody256, Aug 15, 2016.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Holt!

2. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go! I saw just one doe this evening and not close enough for a shot. Suppose to get hot again next week so time to take a break.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Holt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job!
    Had a nice, exciting hunt last night and almost let an arrow fly on a doe, but couldn't quite get the pin settled in time. Then around 530 I got a text from my wife saying she saw a nice buck, and deer were moving well already, so I decided I'd wait on the does, at least for the night. Had opportunities at a couple more but wanted to wait, just in case there was more than one nice buck on the move.

Little slower sit this morning. Two does and two fawns but no shots. Gonna get out this afternoon but I may end up sitting a stand that I don't want to shoot does out of.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My partner shot a 5 point last night. He dropped about 5 yards from the stand I was in yesterday AM. Not what I would have taken but it's his first deer with a bow and his property; so congrats to him!
    Just ate the inner backstraps for lunch and I'm heading out to the stand here in a few!

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tonight dnoodles and Ryan!

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Holt.
    Holy God is it hot today. Using a thermocell for the first time tonight as there's a decent chance I got Zika or West Nile yesterday. Guys, if you hunt in an area with mosquitoes and you've been holding out on a thermacell, stop. Go out and buy one right now. I was constantly swarmed yesterday and haven't had any near me today since I fired it up, and it's not like they're not around because they were bad at Camp when I was getting ready.

Yellow jackets seem to be keeping away from me a little more also. Yesterday they were in the Pine branches right next to me looking for spiders I guess, today they're still in this tree but above and below me not right at my level.

Good luck everyone!

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen anything like the amount of mean nasty insects in this pine tree next to me. There's at least three different species of wasps searching it. Yellow jackets, ones that look like yellow jackets but smaller, and some little black ones. First frost can't come soon enough!

9. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I wonder why I hunt this place? Haven't seen a deer all weekend. If they could get the deer numbers back up, it would be a slam dunk.
    Oh well, I guess it beats workin!

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a place like that, but I just keep going back! I think its the challenge of the hunt

11. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like we are all in the same boat this evening. Warm weather and this south wind are kickin my butt. First stand felt like it was going to uproot on me so I snuck over to a gun stand and it is infested with those mean black wasps, so now I am sitting on a big rock on the edge of a field. Just hoping to see what is happening back here. I have three cameras on and around this field but haven't checked them yet and haven't scouted it otherwise.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Saw one doe on the run tonight appx 100 yards away. No idea what spooked her she came from neighbors property and he's not up this weekend.

Back at it in the AM!

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like my area, doesn't have the numbers like it used to. I hunted yesterday morning and yesterday evening and saw one doe! But, I have to say I didn't see a single hunter either! I usually see some action during the rut, and there's usually a couple shooter bucks that come through, that's why I keep going back.

14. 1jody256

1jody256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    come down here and hunt these swamp donkeys,it will give you a lesson on insects,along with 90 degree heat ,doesnt get any better,it is the way of hunting the early season!

15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Well, didn't see anything this AM. Packed it in at 930 and hit the road for home. Looks like next time I hit the woods will be for the Oct 1 opener in Michigan. I haven't run any trail cams or scouted up there this season but I've been hunting the area for a decade so all I need to do drive the area to see what crops are where, then check the woods for acorns and I'll be able to come up with a game plan in less time it takes me to eat my dinner. I rarely see mature bucks in that area so won't be a hard choice to take a doe and get on the board.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed back out tomorrow to look for a buck, got some good Info on my last sit. I only need to move about 40 yards from the tree I sat Saturday. I could hear alot of deer crossing a creek as they came out of bedding. The bedding is so thick with marsh grass, you can't see 5 feet. The last 30 minutes of light seemed like a steady stream of deer. Got a perfect wind again tomorrow for the deer, so I will have adjust just off the edge of the marsh.

17. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm finally home, and exhausted. No deer seen at all. Surprisingly, my camera was still there but for some reason the battery compartment popped open after about a month, and I probably missed a lot of good pics. Nothing but does and a couple of little bucks.
    The fishing made it worth it though, I caught some lunker bass and a bunch of pike, including a 10 pounder.
    I may try the property again during the rut, I think that's the only way I'll have a chance at a shooter over there. I say that every year, but it's VERY hard to bail on the Illinois rut. We'll see.
    Good luck out there!

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bow is done. I'm in NY for work and will be back Friday. Hopefully make it out over the weekend or early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. WIarrowslinger

WIarrowslinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe Holt! I haven't been out hunting yet. Going to check cameras this Friday to see what activity has been like. Just waiting for it to cool down before I start my hunting, unless I've got one coming in more regularly during daylight.

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took advantage of the rain yesterday to put another cam in the spot where I got the pics of the nice 8pt. I also did my annual clipping of shooting lanes for this stand site, so this spot is handled now.