Not sure how to title this? ( Sad reflections)

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bucksnbears, Jun 6, 2019.

1. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This may sound strange but bear with me please. I'm not a good typer and story teller but hope you all can read between the lines.

Today, I went for a drive of about 100 miles on roads I'm not used too. On that drive, I seen quite allot of deer stands. ( Shooting houses). I couldn't stop thinking of the " stupid places" people put them.
    I actually chuckeled a few time and shook my head.
    then outta the blue, I damn near slapped myself. I'm guessing these people don't give a ripp about big bucks. They most likely want a place to themselves where they can go sit alone and " hopefully" take a deer, ANY deer.
    I'm the guiltiest man on the planet for wanting as much land too hunt.
    I seek it, I find it, and defend it!
    I have more private land too hunt than I can even hunt each year ( and I hunt alot!).
    I do and enjoy taking kids out to hunt and have for several years during the early season but once the clock hits November, it's balls too the walls for ME!

I'm 53 now and have spent so much time in a bowstand over the past 35 years totally consumed by big bucks I'm starting to feel guilty?
    I've lost jobs, some very nice gals,and close friends because of the obsession.
    So where is this going?, Not sure.
    I'm still gonna do what I do but am reflecticting on how not everyone has the drive some of us do and are just happy to be able too do what THEY can do.
    Wierd rant but I feel better now:wave:

Cannon06 likes this.
  2. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a family with young kids, so finding time to make the 4 hour drive to where I hunt and also stay overnight to put in some decent sits is difficult. During the rut especially, I'm fairly selfish about making those trips up there...that being said, getting some quality stands put up for my kids to hunt helps me feel better about it. Luckily, my wife knew who I was when she married me lol.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Family first... Then bow hunting then, well is there anything else?
    To cleanse your soul of this quintessential dilemma let me offer up my services. I'll hunt some of that private land. Might even take my first bear... For you of course

sheddinva and dnoodles like this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always said bowhunters are the most giving, generous people I know. Fix- what a sacrifice you offer. I bless you for your courage.

Fix likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL..so what in your mind are STUPID stand blind placements? Now your talking places you personally have never set foot on?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    OND., That's why I made this thread. I was being critical of others and I shouldn't have. Sorry if you missed that.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I didn't miss that. I am curious as to your opinion on what makes a "poor" stand and blind selection.

As to feeling guilty I see nothing to feel guilty about. Did you yell out the window " What a stupid place to put that stand or blind! " No, I don't see where you said anything like that. No one heard you until your post. You hurt no one other than your self. You should actually be pleased with your self. The negativity was ,until now, done to an audience of one, you. This in contrast to those that feel it important to force their self serving thoughts on successful hunters to their face. More should be like you, vent then look at themselves in the rear view mirror and yell "ass!"

8. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received: