Norway Spruce

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by greatwhitehunter3, Mar 31, 2021.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at getting some norway spruce started in here. Eventually the entire length of the grove. Want something to get going for a wind break and longevity of the grove.

Is there something else that would fit the bill better for a spot like this. Prefer to only have to do this once.

Right hand side of the picture is north. Doesn't get full sun light and can be dampish but not terrible. Started a couple rows of arborvitie on the south side of the grove a couple of years ago and they're doing well, although it's full sun there. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I gave up years ago on arvrotrees.
    the deer hammer them .

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how big you want them. Norway are a massive tree when mature but will grow well in those conditions. That is what neighbor has and the ones on his far north east side,my south west have many seedlings specifically my wet spring area. Though those are growing very slow in deep shade.. The escapes on our place across the street to his south are growing much faster in my hardwoods. Notice the deer are not rubbing those to death like they do the young white spruce. White pine are another favorite but deer will not leave them.be.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found a pic of those spruce. The tall ones are the nieghbors Norway across the road. The shorter ones are my white spruce used as a view blocker along the road to keep down road hunting in my field the white spruce are 20 - 30ft tall. Note the electric lines in those pines,those are full sized electric line poles.

20200614_112016.jpg 20200614_111752.jpg