Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Northwest Wisconsin - Just a few questions

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Travis Branzell, May 27, 2024.

1. Travis Branzell

Travis Branzell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Nevada, but my family has a cabin near Iron River, Wisconsin (Bayfield County). I spend most of the month June every year fishing on Superior and the inland lakes, but I'm planning to come out and visit in the fall to chase whitetails with my bow.

I have loads of experience chasing mule deer, elk, sheep, and antelope out west, but never a whitetail with a bow. Just getting into deer is my goal. I'm not looking for any secret spots, I'm just looking for some answers to a few questions I have...

1. Is June a decent time to scout for beds, rubs, and scrapes, or is the overgrowth this time of year going to make this almost impossible?

2. I will be hunting public land and there are oodles of public lands within a 20-mile radius of our family cabin. I'm going to try to stay away from the crowds as much as possible. We have expansive logging lands with old and new clear-cuts, swamp lands, and an endless sea of maple and birch stands with pockets of pines and small ponds. I'll only have a few days to scout, so if you could only pick one habitat type, what would you guys suggest

3. Trail cam question... Say I find a few scrapes and I want to set cams on them. I'd like to be able to put up a solar-powered cellular camera that will text me pics of the months leading up to the hunt. What brand cameras and models do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the input in advance!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cell coverage is sketchy at best south of Iron River. Lots of county public land, not many crops. I would suggest looking for white cedar swamps to start scouting. A little clover plot would go a long way.

Travis Branzell likes this.
  3. Travis Branzell

Travis Branzell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the input!