Northern winter plot help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bgusty, Jul 1, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I was going to try and get a couple small plots in this year for the first time. As of now the area I was going to plant is basically swamp thanks to all the rain we have had lately and I won't be getting those plots after all. That said, now I am going to wait until later (mid-late august) to get a planting in. I am thinking I will plant something to be primarily a winter plot. It will be in a wooded area, and will probably get around 3 hours of direct sun, with a decent amount of indirect sunlight. I would prefer an annual as opposed to a clover plot to start with. Should I go with a brassica blend of some kind or some winter rye type plant? Mainly I am looking for something with maximum yield to help the herd get a jump start on winter. Any and all input is appreciated.

2. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took a call on a scenario like this yesterday. Here is what i'd recommend in the northern midwest, especially in n. wisconsin. 5lbs per acre berseem clover 5 lbs per acre crimson clover 3 lbs per acre rape, 2 lbs per acre radish and 10 lbs per acre fall rye.

Berseem i love on wet and lower pH soils and it's an annual clover. It will fixate a lot of nitrogen to help next year. The crimson is an annual clover that is a bit more drought tolerant and works better on sandier soils. The rape and radish will tolerate lower pH's and will give you an economic brassica source to help give you a diverse blend that tilts the table to success. The fall rye is a companion crop that will tolerate the conditions better than the oats and other grains.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like you said you were thinking something other than clover....Winter rye is an ideal first crop it grows in think so the second planting will be much more successful. Winter rye will grow anywhere and the deer love it when there is nothing green left and they will hammer it as soon as the snow melts off it

4. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nutritionist, when you give all those lbs/ acre ratio, I am assuming that is individual basis? I have 2 spots that I was thinking of planting, probably each sizing about 3/4 of an acre. What would you recommend as a combination for each? I would like to try out two different combinations, so what combos, and how much seed for each patch? Both semi-shaded and in wooded river bottom area. Also, my research into Berseem clover says that it is not as cold tolerant. Would that be an issue for central MN?

5. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why i try to list lbs per acre on here and other sites is I don't want to appear biased in any way, shape or form. I do get paid by a company to consult and provide expertise. I also have side passions and ventures. What I recommend anywhere Is things i've done in my past life as an independent consultant in the business for 20 years.

If there is only 3 products that i can plant myself or recommend to anyone it would be daikon radish, winfred brassica and berseem clover. I like berseem clover for many many reasons. Here they are:

Very few things fixate nitrogen more than Berseem clover. This will reduce fertilizer requirements as well as reduce "soil salts".
    Very few things are more palatable than berseem clover.
    It has a better nutrition profile than alfalfa and many clovers.
    It grows super fast and acts as a smother crop.
    It dies out after 26 degrees or so and this helps for establishing green manure. One doesn't need to use herbicides to kill it off.
    It stays green late into hunting season even when it stops growing. Mine and many friends of mine had theirs consummed into late bow season last year.
    It works well in mixes, getting ground covered, suppressing weeds as the slower growing clovers or brassicas establish.

I actually recommend mixes for people and at times custom blended food plot seed. I like telling people what seeds to plant and have them buy 1lb or 5 lb bags of seed and have people create their own mixes based on their location, soil type, equipment they use, planting date and goals. Not sure there are many companies who do that.

So two mixes i'd have you plant if i was you would be:

mix 1)
    20% berseem clover
    20% crimson clove
    12% bonar rape
    8% radish
    40% winter rye
    and seed down 18-20 lbs per 3/4 acre
    mix 2 would be
    20% forage turnip( a chinese cabbage-turnip cross that is super fast growing)
    20% winfred brassica (kale-turnip cross that stays green to 10 degrees)
    20% daikon radish( scavenges nutrients, loosens the soil up and they will hit it early then hard end of jan/feb)
    20% bonar rape (slower growing, and tolerates really low pH's)
    20% spring triticale(very overlooked, higher nutrition than oats and a hidden gem with consumption similar to oats)
    seeding rate for 3/4 acre 20 pounds