Nocked and Locked-Team 10

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Then we need a couple doe!!!!!!!!!!! Or a big buck. Just sayin' :)

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, I'm probably done for the season. With ATA prep, the holidays and now being between bows, I'm not sure I'll make it out again before the last day which is Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I braved 8 degree temps w. a windchill of -17 yesterday only to get skunked. Hunted both morning and evening and didn't see a thing either time. Thank god for the Mr. Heater Head or I probably wouldn't have made it for 30 minutes. Would have been nice to at least see something. Season's over on the 15th, so I'll only get a couple more sits to hopefully get my doe.

4. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker. You will get one. Hard work always pays off. Frank and I hunted last night and never saw a deer. Im still after our big boy that we call Ernie. He is driving me crazy. Ive been getting tons of pics of him but can't ever seem to run into him. The next three nights look awesome so we shall see. I have to leave for the ATA show wednesday night after the hunt so I will have a few days off then I will get back after them. Good luck to anyone thats still out there hunting and stay safe.

5. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it crew we can pull this thing off yet! I likely have 1 sit or maybe a morning and night sit left. The weather is just what I need though as it is -40 here and snowing. I'll be out if I can manage the cold!

6. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be doing my best to brave the cold this weekend. We're leaving for northern Missouri tomorrow (Thursday) morning. We've got a few chores to do once we get to the cabin but I should get a sit in Thursday evening, 2 on Friday, 2 on Saturday and maybe Sunday morning. It's gonna be crazy friggin' cold and I've got two in the freezer so I'm not gonna be picky. Any buck with 4 on one side that gives me a clean 30 yard shot is getting an arrow flung at him.

-D

7. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Guys,
    I don't even know where to start my story so I will give you the short version. I MISSED ERNIE AT 20 yards monday night. Im to upset to tell the rest. Bottom line. I lost concentration and dropped my arm. Shot under him. Deer of a lifetime.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, sorry to hear that Clinton. Keep at it, maybe you'll get another crack at him. Good news is you didn't wound him.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Oh man I feel for you brother, like stated before good news is he is harm free. Knowing you brother a chance may re-present itself!

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Well, were coming down to to final changes of the season. Tonight will most likely be my last sit of the season, and I'm hoping to add 50 pts to total. I thought I was going to get it done last night. Had 3 doe come in down wind at about 40 yards, but they stayed too far out. Then I had 4 doe come across upwind of me but they stayed out at about 50 yards. Had three more come out in the soybeans on the opposite side of the plots. 55 yards was the closest shot opportunity they gave me. I though for sure they were going to work their way over to me but something spooked them and they fed off in the other direction. In total I saw 13 doe last night which was one of the better sits of the year for me. Hoping they will be around again tonight and I can seal the deal.

11. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK team, I'm done. I wasn't able to get any decent bucks in range this weekend. I saw a lot of does and had one little fork buck come in range but no nice ones. The little guy had already shed one side so that was kinda neat to see.
    Now I'm gonna try my hand at 'yote trapping. If anyone has any experience on that please pass on your words of wisdom.
    Sorry I couldn't add to our total.
    -Dave

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, team I didn't get to go back out before the season ended. Between all of our archery adventures, working and ATA show prep I just didn't have the time I would have liked to had for the stand. I wish I had been able to connect on a doe for another 50 points though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    going to go score my deer right now should only be around 100 I think. Drath I do quite a bit of trapping myself if you have any questions let me know. most important is location much like stand placement. bed your traps solid and check from a distance to keep your scent down

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've been running traps the last couple weeks. I think I'm having trouble getting my traps bedded well enough. I've had a couple dug around. The ground is so frozen around here and the dry dirt that I'm using is so dry it won't compact when I bed the trap. I thought about getting some potting soil to bed the trap then covering with the dry dirt. What's your thoughts on a better way to get a trap bedded in frozen ground?

15. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    skywalker try chipping away a trap bed in the shape of a cereal bowl. What traps are you using square jaw or round jaw? you want the trap to be touching the bed on the corners and it will be rock solid. I use peat moss and put some in trap bed then bed the trap then cover in peat. They will not shy away from stepping on the peat. The fact that they are digging draps out wither means they stepped on the jaw and it wobbled so they dug it out of curiosity or that the trap was contaminated with a scent they wanted to investigate. if It continues happening bed another trap where you think they are digging from and blend it in real good they will go to dig your initial trap and get caught in the other has worked for me many times. Most of the times fox are the reason for dug traps but sometimes yotes and coons do it. let me know if you have anymore questions

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    lilwhitetail, get that deer entered! We need it!

17. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like he got it entered a couple days ago. By my count, we should have 1135 6/8. Looks like team 4 will have 1196 6/8. I'm assuming everyone's on our teams season's are over by this point so it looks like we will be just shy.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing I got here Sky....d*** good years you fellas have had....anyone still got a chance at anything on your team? We've only got 3 guys that "could" still put something down.

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it looks to be official. Team 4 edged us out by the narrowest of margins. It's been a great run and I've enjoyed being part of this team. We had a bit of a down year, and still pulled off second place. Congrats to everyone for a great three year run!!!!

20. flyguy415

flyguy415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes we did! A true champion has to defend their title once!