Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

"No Sunday Hunting" guys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jim_IV, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For any of you guys that have to put up with the no sunday hunting laws, what does it apply to? Is it just deer hunting? What about duck, small game, ect?

And what is the reasoning behind no hunting on Sunday?

Inquiring minds must know:beer:

2. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been curious as well :confused:

IL does not have this...although I seem to have a self-imposed No Sunday hunting...as Sunday is for family, football, and raking leaves in the fall.

Go Bears! :beer:

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Being MI is dying a slow death, all you guys who cannot hunt on Sundays need to move to MI!!! Hunt with any weapon, any critter, even on state/public land. We have more public land than anyone.
    Come to MI and hunt Sunday mornings, the church bells are a great distraction to pull your bow back and kill one of god's fine creatures:)

4. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i get out when i can... i understand why some, a few of my best friends dont hunt on sunday for religous beliefs, but i think you can do both. i dont need to be in church to send one up to God... some reflection in the morning and thanks that he got me up that morn will do for me.

5. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only speaking for myself here but I'm sorta glad there is no hunting on Sunday in VA. Hunting morning and night, weeks at time (when vacation allows) just wears me out. Also, Sunday is a good day to catch up on things around the house and watch football. That's not to say that I would not hunt on Sunday if it were legal...because I definitely would. :d I'm just saying its nice to have a bit of a break.

On the other hand, I feel bad for the guys that only have the weekends to hunt.

I wish it would pass. If it ever did...I'd be a walking zombie. :lol: Until it does, I'm going to enjoy that Sunday break.

6. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That must REALLY suck for people who have no option to hunt during the week.

Seems pretty stupid to me...a person should be able to spend sundays the way they want rather than be told by the government.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In VA we have no hunting on Sundays. It seems like a clear violation of equal protection laws. The law has been maintained under the guise of equal access to state lands, although in reality the no Sunday hunting law has been protected due to religous interests.

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man that would suck. If it is for religious reasons, that is just awful. If someone doesn't want to hunt on sundays because of THEIR beliefs, that is fine with me. I think it is wrong to force that on someone else though.

9. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That would really suck for me because of school and such i only get to hunt mornings on saturdays and sundays.

10. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's illegal to hunt Sundays here in PA and just about every state that surrounds us. In PA it is all hunting with the exception of crow and coyotes. As GMMAT said there is no good reason for it, it's just the law.

It is very frustrating for those of us who work a 9-5 (or 7:30-6:00) Monday-Friday to be locked into Saturdays and vacation days, but it is what it is.

11. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:

Thats the problem I would run into.

It sucks for the blue collar man who HAS to work Mon-Fri and uses his vacation time to spend with his family. That leaves him 8 to 10 hours of daylight to hunt a week. It just doesn't make sense to me

12. zimmer/wi

zimmer/wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go nuts if I couldn't hunt on Sundays.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have one word to describe the no hunting on Sunday’s rule........... RETARDED!:rant: :rant:

I am glad Wisconsin does not have a law like this. Usually Wisconsin is the leader in stupid, pointless, legislation so I am a bit surprised.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of all the laws that impact me the most and piss me off...this one takes the cake by far.

15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo come to MI, you can hunt on Sundays, you can still hunt in Ohio, plus Indiana. Both states have Sunday hunting. You can go to MIS every year, we can be hunting partners:cool:

16. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ohio doesn't have the law:evil:

17. PA-BOW-MAN

PA-BOW-MAN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's illegal in PA for 1 reason and 1 reason only. The large land owners who make up a majority of the private land in PA are all religious farmers. They go to the PGC meetings and say they will lock their land down for good if they legalize Sunday hunting and then the law never gets passed. The fact is most of that land is posted already so who cares is my view. We can hunt crows, coyotes and I beleive woodchucks on Sunday as well as stock non PA resident game birds like Chukkars and hunt them.

18. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to hear from someone who does like the law. Does anyone have a friend or aquaintance that supports it.....?

Because you'd figure if the majorty of hunters don't support it then somehow a law could be passed to make it legal to hunt on Sundays

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Allow an Assistant Pastor to comment: (Prolly not what you will expect)

The rule came into place for one of 2 reasons .... 1. Sunday is the Lord's day and noone should be hunting 2. Give the deer a day of rest where they are not being chased for one day a week.

My thoughts on both

1. The Lord's day - the rule is the epitome of hypocrisy as it attempts to FORCE a particular belief or way to worship upon an individual instead of allow said individual to worship the way THEY believe God would have them to worship. This country was founded on the individual's right to worship God according to their own conscience .. to not ALLOW someone to hunt because the controlling party is against it is LUDICROUS and hypocritical.

2. The day of rest for the deer - Give me a break! ,,, there are way more deer now than when these laws were put into place, INCLUDING where Sunday hunting is allowed .... that is stupid .. if the thought is that the rest comes because God rested on the 7th day, well that humanises the deer and THAT is wrong ...

So there you have it .... Hypocrisy vs. stupidity ..... BTW, in NY we CAN hunt on Sundays .... and I choose to go to Church ,,,, but that is between ME AND GOD...

20. PA-BOW-MAN

PA-BOW-MAN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could always go hunting after church. :) We don't have that option.