No hunter safety course!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by chopayne, Apr 22, 2014.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Silly me. Turkey season started and I didn't realize state of Missouri required hunters education card for those born after the stone age.

Anyways I've heard of the apprentice on I can buy, anyone know of any other ways to get around this. The next hunters ed isn't until June which turkey season will be over with.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had that problem in Wisconsin a few years back. Cost me most of my season. Won't ever make that type of mistake again. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

3. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the apprentice license plus your spring turkey permit is your only option. Just remember, when hunting on an apprentice license, you have to be in the immediate presence of a licensed hunter who has passed hunter safety or was born before it was required. Here is the official word:

Apprentice Hunter Program | Missouri Department of Conservation

4. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm went through that link. Apparently there are more classes, however, they are several hours away.

Anyone know if a friend took the hunters ed course in a different state if those usually transfer?

5. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the Missouri Department of Conservation web page: "NOTE: If you can prove you completed an approved hunter-education course in another state, you are not required to take Missouri’s Hunter Education Course."

I found that here: Hunter Education Requirement | Missouri Department of Conservation

The issue there is going to be that you have to prove it. Probably by showing a card issued by your state. If you don't have your card or some other proof, you might be able to call your home state and have them e-mail or fax something stating that you completed hunter education. So what exactly is your situation? Have you taken a hunter ed course in another state?

6. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Bear. Thanks looks like I didn't look closely enough.

Nope no course by me. But my friend has one so I should be able to get an apprentice one through him. Otherwise I'd be stuck asking random strangers to sponsor me.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been hunting without one? Just curious if they have issued you tags in the past.

8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Yeah I do-- take it online

Here is the link: Official Missouri Hunter Safety Course | MO Online Hunter Safety Course

9. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    No I bought tags in Oregon for pref poinys and they don't require it for over 18. Also I don't think they can issue you one without either showing your card or them verifying online that you have that card.

10. chopayne

Dislikes Received: