No deer and 40 pigs...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dubbya, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, yesterday was my first "official" day in the stand. I did go out Friday evening and had a horrible night. I climbed up the tree and sat there for a few minutes and then started to feel really bad, got hot, go the watery mouth and then yep... vomit. It happened so fast I couldn't get out of the stand, definitely a new experience for me. So I managed to get down, left my climber at the tree and headed to the truck. Long story short, I threw up every 30 minutes until 9:30 on Friday night... still not sure what the deal was.

So anyway, my dad drove up and met me for a Saturday afternoon hunt. I settled him into a red oak thicket and set out for my tree stand from the previous evening. A very windy unproductive night and an extremely thick thicket to cross pushed me to the truck a couple minutes early. I walked to the road and layed my bow, pack and stand on the ground and continued to the truck. I drove past my stuff on the way to pick up my dad as I'd get it on the way out.

I pull up the agreed up meeting spot, kill the truck, roll down the windows and throw in a Copenhagen. Nothing better, well pretty much. So I'm there for about 30 seconds and I hear an ever so familiar sound a pig grunt and close. I look to the left and see pigs trotting across a clearing about 20 yards from the truck... lots of them. They disappear into the woods and figured they were gone. At this point, I was already disappointed that I had left my bow back on the roadside.:bash:

This is where it gets good. I happen to glance in my driver side mirror and see the pigs crossing the 2-track... I stopped counting at 27 and there was a whole herd still left to cross. So next these hogs walk up and surround the truck! There were pigs so close that I couldn't see them out the window because they were so close! So I do a NASCAR exit and sit on the window sill as to not turn the light on in the truck and there sits 40 wild hogs within 20 yards, some of them close enough to slap with an ice fishing rod. So I started trying to take pics with my camera phone and they still didn't leave with the flash going off in their face! Finally after 5 minutes of hanging out at the Z71 they headed off down the road.

This proves my theory that if you don't have a camera or a weapon you'll see all kinds of good stuff...:confused:

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Next time take your spare bow along and leave it by the side of the road. Maybe they will think it's your only one and show up again.:d

You shudda jumped off the truck and tackled one, tied him up and threw him in the back till your dad came out.

3. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can only ask, why didn't you use a screwdriver? :confused:

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    number one rule that I have learned, is always always keep your bow/gun with you until you're in the truck heading home. I've been burned like that before. I bet that was very cool to be that close w/o them realizing it.

5. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly the reason I keep an atlatl behind the seat of my pick-up at all times;):d

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You take care of those hogs until I get there.... Then we will have game on! :cool:

7. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your Deer Stand.

T

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awsome and had to be something that you won't soon forget. Just to be able to sit and enjoy that is awsome!

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    JM, that's the best idea I've heard yet!!!

Buckeye, they'll probably have another litter before you get here:cool:

10. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No probably about it! those things are worse than rabbits!

11. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Dubbya sorry about the first night but is baiting legal in OK?? Sorry I had to ask!! Yeh that is the way it goes no bow no camera and you see it all. Walt

12. wdriver

wdriver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, dude....