Nikon D750 to film hunts

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by hoyt05, Mar 21, 2016.

1. hoyt05

hoyt05 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Nikon D750 and was wondering if I could use it to film my hunts ?
    I didn't buy it for hunting. I bought it for other reasons but was thinking what the heck...it's an amazing camera why not try to film some hunts. What do you guys think? Which lens would you use? What else would you attach to the camera?

2. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It will work but will be a challenge to use if you're self filming. Definitely slap a shotgun mic on it for better audio. As for a lens a 55-200 will handle most situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. It will work great! I've been using a DSLR, self filming, for about 2 years now. Works great! Just remember not be too zoomed in and it will be fine!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest issue you run into with self filming & DSLRs is that you lose the ability for auto focus. The vast majority of DSLRs do not have an auto focus that works well in video. Not a problem if you are filming someone else as you can pull focus easy enough. Now that's a whole different story when you are self filming. There's no good way to pull focus one handed.

The best/only DSLR options for self filmers IMO would be one of the canon's with the dual pixle CMOS autofocusing systems. 70D, 80D, 1D X II, T5i (I think) etc... This is the only auto focusing system I've seen on a DSLR or micro 4/3 cam that works well.

AS for lenses, I primarily use my 18-135 STM. Wide enough to get me my establishing shots and in tree interviews, yet long enough to frame anything in bow range. I also have a 50mm STM 1.8 I use for dawn & dusk. It pretty much gets me covered from legal light to legal light. Eventually I'll get the Sigma 18-35 1.8 to give me more versatility than the 50mm does, but $125 was easier to swallow in the beginning than $800.

At this point, you have the camera, so you might as well try it out. But I think you'll find it's a tough task. Do some filming with it this off season and see how you like it. As other's have said, you'll definitely want a external shotgun mic. DSLR audio stinks with the built in mics.