Night Sights?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Brandon8807, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any input on night sights on pistols? Are they worth the extra money? I haven't bought a pistol yet but I'm weighing my options and trying to decide what I want. I'm pretty set on getting the Smith and Wesson M&P .40C and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to get it off of gun broker because I can't find it anywhere. Some of the ones I'm watching already have the night sights installed, so I'm trying to decide between one with or without. Any input on the gun as well? I'm fairly new to the pistol scene and have been researching and looking for about a month now.

2. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trijicon. They are the first name in night sights. I run them on my Glock.

Unless you are going to be using it for night hunts, or are genuinely concerned with home safety/protection, they really aren't necessary.

I carry mine when night hunting pigs and predators, and the glowing dots sure come in handy when I need to dispatch something.

None of my other pistols have night sights.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where you at in Illinois Brandon?

4. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central IL in Menard County

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard trijicon make about the best around. Depending on what ur gonna use the pistol for I would say they're not needed for a majority of uses. If your using it for personal defense, imo, a weapons light would be much more beneficial. The reason I say that is most self defense situation are somewhat close quarters and won't need to put huge emphasis on taking time to settle in an get a good sight picture. Although having the night sights to give the avitlity to line up the three dots more quickly and be more accurate, I know goes against last statement ha. I'd say most of it is personel preferance but I personally don't see the meed for night sights and weapons light if defense is your goal. I'd much rather want to see target clearly. But then again I don't have much experience with night sights on pistol, didn't use then when I carried for military. I would think they'd be pretty handy if was using for hunting tho.

As far as the pistol itself I used to have a m&p9c and loved it. They are very good dependable pistols. Nice to see my areas not only one having trouble finding smith amd wesson. Our local dealer got they're supply pulled because the factory is focusing more on bigger distributors.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I installed Trijicon HD's on my Glock 19. They are amazing in both daytime and lowlight conditions. I also have a handful of other pistols with Trijicons and they are nice but not quite as nice as the HD's.

[​IMG]

7. Umpire Jim

Umpire Jim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a SD 40 S&W for my son and it has night sights. He loves it