Nice hunt, close miss.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Assassin, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Assassin

Assassin Deer Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, after figuring the rut started about a week ago over in NJ, I was going to wait for the first real cold snap, which happened today. The snow started up real heavy for hours and I was telling my friends in school, " I am gonna see deer today.". I got in my stand right after school and after 20 minutes, a small cooper hawk flies in the tree above me. After watching the hawk for 5 minutes, I put my head down and there is a nice 4 point buck in a clearing 20 yards in front of me! I let one fly, but just narrowly missed, I think right under him. Real close shot. Fun hunt though.

2. Decypha

Decypha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get out there as often as ya can, NJ does are hot right now and the bucks are all over. You'll get em next time

3. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on getting that deer in future sits.

4. Assassin

Assassin Deer Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. What calls/scents are good in the rut? I almost never use anything, maybe i will put corn or something down sometimes, so dont really know.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doe estrus might work. Some guys swear by it. Some say it doesn't work at at all. Won't know until you try it. I haven't really used it too much yet this year but the first time I used it - I had a buck come in.

6. Decypha

Decypha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used Tinks #69 on a drag rag and had 2 bucks follow it right in, even check out where I hunt the drag line on a tree. Seems to do the trick. And I use an old grunt that was a hand-me-down from my father, but it helped me get the big 8 I got the other day so no complaints there!

7. Assassin

Assassin Deer Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will try that. I may be going out tomorrow morning. I tried yesterday but with the snow storm just recently ending, all life was bedded down. The woods were dead.