NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lester, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You do realize your Packers have a lot more money than most teams to spend during FA, right? If you have the money, why not go out and get some talent/re-sign talent already on the team.

Would like to see the Vikes go after a LB/CB now... Lots of veterans being released.

2. 68pointbuck

68pointbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You don't want Jarious Byrd... You want the Chiefs to have Jarious Byrd haha! Here's to wishful thinking.

3. 68pointbuck

68pointbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Chiefs badly need help and WR and a true Free Safety. Its looks like we are losing McCluster, Albert, Asamoah, and Schwartz. Three of our 5 starting OL... I hate that. I'd love to keep Schwarts, as he was a monster in the second half of the season. McCluster has really grow on me as well, but I think letting him go will allow us to actually find a better football player for that spot.

I'd love to see us go after Sproles, and Byrd... but I doubt we can afford Byrd. I could also see Andy Reid bringing in Avant from Philly too. I think we'll be building from the draft a lot tho. I expect this season to be a step back from last.

4. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Raiders:
    Where the hell do I start..

5. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    At least you guys have money! You can invest at pretty much any position and it would be an upgrade :lol:

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Bennett resigned with the Seahawks for less money than the Bears were offering. So I guess the hunt for a young d-lineman continues....

7. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Skins are signing FA WR from Arizona Andre Roberts (good slot receiver) also resigned ILB Perry Riley...now go get a Safety (hopefully) Jairus Byrd.....

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They need to draft heavy on the lines. The most successful teams have strong lines on both sides of the ball.

Agree on both Hatcher and Austin. Hatcher was playing for a contract and Austin hasn't been healthy for the past 3 years? Also agree on RB and WR. Either draft or pick up a cheap one in free agency. With Austin most likely gone, they will be shorthanded on recievers, and I think Murray's contract ends this year so they need a back up plan for him as well.

But first and foremost, Defensive Line and wouldnt care if they picked an offensive lineman either. That would start them on the right track.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% fine with re-signing...I am not a fan of jumping into the FA open market on other teams...besides I am also a fan of not overspending just out of fear of a gap, have faith in the draft and development - something GB and TT (Ted Thompson) has proven great at.

10. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the money available, why not jump into FA?

You sound like a member of the Minnesota Twins. Which is perfectly fine, but FA can and will help teams that are willing to spend the money they have.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

just kidding Tony! I'd like to see the bills get better too to make the AFC east a little more challenging for TB12

12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My list is long, but TT is my GM soooooo ill take this Sam Shields signing and rejoice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

13. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would kinda like to see Jarred Allen go to GB. Take ****ler out for good. Maybe a top CB. Marshall and Megatron twice a year. Then build interior Def line and replenish LB's in draft.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    They do help...teams don't win based on that HUGE FA signing...history proves the largest FA contract almost always leave you wishing you'd done otherwise. Granted the very few times GB has made a splash i.e. Woodson but even he wasn't incredibly expensive when we picked him up (but would qualify). No, I'll take TT and GB picking up guys like Pickett and the likes in FA, resign the talent we got (just did with Shields) and continue to build through the draft. Big splashes in FA just leave you poorer than before and just not good.

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Allen doesn't fit in our 3-4 scheme. No want.

But DeMarcus Ware does. Especially if he gets no interest anywhere else. I love him for 2-3 years on the cheap playing opposite Clay Matthews and mentoring Nick Perry. If we do sign him, we better draft an ILB like CJ Mosely. That would be a sick nasty backers corp.

As for our secondary, we are pretty set at corner. Shields, Williams are solid starters and Hayword/Hyde are great young players. Where we need the help is safety. Morgan Burnett is all alone back there and he struggled badly last year. We need Chris Clemons or TJ Ward in bad bad way. Jarius Byrd would be epic, but he will cost way to much.

I wouldn't mind Devin Hester for cheap just as a novelty and to take pressure off Hyde/Cobb for special teams.

I also wanted EDS, James Jones and James Starks resigned, which didn't happen. And we better draft a TE in the first two rounds.

16. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Just a few FA signings over the years....:

Reggie White (1993, Green Bay Packers)
    Drew Brees (2006, New Orleans Saints)
    Deion Sanders (1994, San Francisco 49ers; 1995, Dallas Cowboys)
    Kurt Warner (2005, Arizona Cardinals)
    Peyton Manning (2012, Denver Broncos)
    Charles Woodson (2006, Green Bay Packers)
    Shannon Sharpe (2000, Baltimore Ravens)
    James Farrior (2002, Pittsburgh Steelers)
    Michael Turner (2008, Atlanta Falcons)
    Jerry Rice (2001, Oakland Raiders)
    Brett Favre (2009, Minnesota Vikings)

I just have a different view on FA signings... Maybe I have just lost faith in the Vikings personnel to be able to build through the draft after Ponder and the likes.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not one player on that list turned the entire franchise upside down for the better. Sure a couple of them put that cherry on top but very very few teams are good solely on one big FA signing. The bolded part of your statement is the issue in Minnesota. Before some of our injuries last year GB had at one time only 3 players whom had played for another team EVER in their careers (Seneca Wallace, Kuhns and Pickett)....and yet we still were favorites for the division and despite all the injuries still accomplished that.

Minnesota has for years tried FA bandaides for the lack of scouting and drafting wisely.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Well....Green Bay may not have won Super Bowls in '96 and '10 if it wasn't for White/Woodson. Just saying.

(They wouldn't have won without #4 and #12 either...lol)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Again they're Cherries...nothing more and that larger FA market should be treaded in lightly. It can injure your teams cap for years without payout. Like you have said, I have faith in TT based on his entire proven track record.

20. Bowhunter Newbie

Bowhunter Newbie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Kurt Warner changed the whole face of football here in AZ for us! People were getting sick of going to games and that changed once the Cards picked him up. And now that he's gone, we miss him and haven't really filled his shoes yet!