Next Level of Hunting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by head2toe camo, Dec 15, 2014.

1. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started archery and rifle hunting 2010, and got my first deer/buck last year. I live in the suburbs with 1.5 wooded acres with lots of deer trails. I caught a nice buck cruising through last year.

Anyway this setup is great for helping to control the local large deer population, but limited to the deer that happen to wander by.

We bought a cabin and 7 acres in April surrounded by state forest in central PA...good deer and turkey hunting and very good bear population. I didn't have time to scout much because of family and work, so I archery hunted my permanent stand at home, which I now regret. No luck, missed a doe, no shot at any legal bucks.

Last two weeks I was able to get away for a total of 4 days scouting and rifle hunting around the cabin. I'm very excited by how much sign I saw...scat, tracks, trails, rubs and scrapes. It was a whole new level of experience, finding deer sign, getting on the deer, seeing them and harvesting a button buck with the rifle. I was soar from how much walking/climbing I did! I'm very excited for next year knowing that what I thought was good hunting area actually is!
    Button.jpg
    It's a great feeling to use your observation and tracking skills to be successful. Here we go!

2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do a fair amount of suburban hunting, it's a little disturbing at first especially when you can see 4 or 5 homes from your stand..

3. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being able to see houses from the stand would be odd to me. Enjoy all that your new cabin and woods has to offer.

4. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Sounds like between the two spots you will have much more chances for venison in the freezer.

Beefie

5. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Suburban hunting is a challenge of its own. I have seen bigger bucks on my 11 acre suburban property than my lease in jo daviess. Good luck.

6. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome I too hunt in sub. We have some big woods but mostly houses all around I know how you feel. Good luck next year and sounds like it will be a good one.