Newcomer here from California

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Steve_Carey, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Steve_Carey

Steve_Carey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello! I am new here. I am just getting in to archery for two reasons, one to get outdoors and shoot targets and two I would like to start hunting. I feel I am rather old to start this endeavor compared to probably most others here. However I do enjoy learning new things. The two game species I am interested in hunting are Turkey and wild hogs. Depending how successful I am, I may want to graduate to other game.

I am 51 years old and I live in Orange, Ca. I already completed the Hunter's Ed coarse on line. I am also going through the bow hunters ed just because. I don't think its a requirement but I am going through it anyways. Also I am not sure where to start as far as research and looking up where to hunt. I've been to the Calhunt website.

Any tips or suggestions to help out a beginner would be great. I have a goal to go on my first hunt next year. Spring turkey, but am open to suggestions as far as that goes too. Thanks.

Steve

Joanmaria650 and axtell343 like this.
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome.

Two ideas for you to get plugged in to hunting in your areas:

1) find a local archery shop, shooting league, or club. Folks there may best be able to advise on everything from technique, hunting, mentorship or whatever.

2) I think Guy Duplantier (Western Contours podcast) may have lived around that area +\-… you may want to check out some of his podcasts or hit him up on IG. He recently moved, he may be able to help with either connections or units to check out.

3. Steve_Carey

Steve_Carey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Bill. I was going to check out a local archery range where they have a lot of 3D tournaments. I will look up Guy Duplantier. Much appreciated.

wl704 likes this.