Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Brad Ipock, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Brad Ipock

Brad Ipock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to pick up a bow for hunting in the next couple weeks. I've been to an archery store got measured and shot a couple different bows.

So there's 2 things I have a question about.

1. My draw length is 31.5 inches, which eliminates a lot of bows off the bat. The RX7 Ultra I shot handles it and gives me a little more room up to a 32 inch draw. However, it was a 60lb bow that I was easily shooting at 56lbs. The others I shot couldn't get to 31.5, but were 70 lb bows and I really struggled getting them drawn at 62lbs. Is there any issue with buying a bow that is already maxed out on the draw length and the draw weight?

2. The other thing that came up was the possibility of, for lack of a better term, "over torquing the bow". Basically, the rep helping me said that the 60lb bow I shot could be torqued down to about 63-64 lbs, over the max weight. Is this legit and, if so, does it raise any safety issues?

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At 31.5 “ draw length any 60 lb bow with a decent 400 -450 gr arrow will destroy any animal you want to shoot. You could go even lower in poundage and be 100% lethal. The amount of energy you will with that draw length is powerful.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!

1. As long as you're certain you won't need a bit longer draw length, it is fine to buy a bow and use it at its maxed out draw length setting.

With that being said. Getting measured for draw length gets you close, nothing more. It is not an end-all, be-all for your perfect draw length. So be aware, you may end up shooting best at a bit shorter or longer draw length than what you were measured at. An RX7 is a great choice for a beginner since its draw length can be adjusted without having to buy new mods. Once you get shooting, don't be afraid to try a 1/2" longer and a 1/2" shorter draw length setting to see how it effects your shooting. One of them may greatly improve how steady your target pin holds on the bullseye.

2. A bow's string and cables can be manipulated so that the bow draws a bit over peak limb weight. It is fairly common for a bow to actually measure a couple pounds over its stated peak poundage. No biggie.
    But, like Vabowman said above, you have a longer than normal draw length. The extra time an arrow will spend on the string at your longer draw length will yield some very good arrow speed. You will have plenty of energy with a 60 lbs bow as long as the arrow is of a decent weight. A 450 grain arrow at your draw length and 60 lbs will work just fine. You will be seeing around 285-290 fps with that setup and around 80 lbs of kinetic energy. To add perspective, 65 lbs of kinetic energy is recommended for elk.

I highly recommend that you watch some youtube videos on proper/good shooting form, it will help you learn to shoot a bow the proper way. Better to spend some extra time learning to shoot the proper way now, rather than developing a bad habit that'll be tougher to correct later.

This is a great forum for bowhunting and archery info. Don't be a stranger and feel free to ask other questions as they come up.

Vabowman likes this.