Newbie from Texas!

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by hmccall4, Jul 31, 2012.

1. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My name is Alex and im from East Texas (Longview Area). I was just introduced into shooting a bow and am getting very interested into getting into the sport. I have little knowledge of subject and am looking for some advice. Where do I start when looking for a bow? I don't want to walk into a bow pro shop and get sold something that isn't suited for me so i'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before I take the leap. By reading a few other post i'm guessing first thing is to get measured for my draw length and then go from there. I don't want to fork out a ton of money, but could you guys recommend some good bows for a beginner.

Thanks in advanced.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Love the East Texas area. Used to live in Dallas and still sometimes miss it! As for suggestions you should get a ton of suggestions from everyone saying to buy this brand or that brand. Just figure out your budget then go try a few and let the bow pick you. All of them will do the job but it is all about feel for you since you are new and I am sure if you shoot a few you will know which one or ones you like best. Good luck!

3. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. I'm sure I have alot to learn about the sport but im excited about it. I have a archery pro shop about a mile from my house so I will stop by and ask some questions. I know I will have to try many bows out before I make a purchase but im kinda looking into the PSE Stinger 3g. Like I said I don't want to spend a ton of money starting out and the PSE Stinger 3g looks to be a nice starting point for me. But heck, trying out many bows may change my mind completely.

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just curious whats your user name stand for/ mean?

5. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    Hi Alex and welcome to the forum mate, im sure your going to love archery and bowhunting.

Firstly, here's a link to a number of bow companies and their links for you to check their line up

http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...f-bow-companies-and-links&p=490023#post490023

Most companies make great bows today, but be sure to check warranties and look for a helpful local shop. My thoughts here are mainly if your desiring to shoot a compound bow and thinking of hunting with it.

Youll need to measure your draw length, check youtube for ways to do this and measure again and again to ensure you have the right length, many can get this wrong.

You should check to see what eye is dominant as you dont generally shoot 'left or right handed' when using a peep. It can be done but its best to use your dominant eye, again youtube to check how to.

Youll need to head into a shop to check what sort of poundage you can pull and id advise starting with a 7" and above brace height, but its just a quick thought and might help avoid an arm slap or derail.

Unless your willing to wait and research a heap to get your education level up id purchase a RTH package (ready to hunt).

There's heaps to learn but its both enjoyable, empowering and addictive, have fun mate, all the best cheers Doz

6. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    h is my first initial
    mccall is my last name
    4 as in im the 4th (IV)

I go by Alex. :lol:

And thanks Camper1. I have been reading non stop for the last few hours and it seems like there isn't ever a clear answer on what is best. Its mostly just personal preference. What may be right for someone may not be right for me. I will just have to go to the local pro sho and get my hands on some. And i'm not opposed to the RTH packages, but I don't have a problem with trying out different things either (sight, rest, release).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha thats funny my girlfriends first name is mccall.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Alex!

Ferg & Camper are spot on. Good luck is your first bow purchase :tu:

9. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Aboard!

10. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for the warm welcome. I believe I will be sticking around the forums, everyone seems friendly and helpful. Im eager to get set up with a bow and start shooting. I will keep you guys posted on what I get. Im hoping to have one by the end of the month. My birthday is the 25th of this month so maybe I can get some help with the purchase. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

11. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Alex! There's alot of great people on the forums here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. This is a great site with some great people on it! Good luck in your search for a bow!

12. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks AntlerAddict, everyone has been helpful and between you guys and the nice people at my local pro shop I should be well on my way to getting a bow in the coming weeks.

I went to the local pro shop after work. I got measured for my draw length and tested out a bunch of bows.. I will need a 27.5" draw length and 65lb draw (possibly 70lb after getting some practice in). After more research im gonna get the shop to order a PSE Stinger 3g so I can see if I like it. Trying to stay in my price range, I tryed out a 2011 Diamond Outlaw and just didn't like the feel of it (despite it being a great price). Still researching and gaining knowledge.

13. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just an update on my bow buying adventure. I went to Bass Pro yesterday and tried out even more bows, and finally got my hands on that PSE Stinger 3g I have been wanting to try. And I like it. Draw was smooth, even considering it was maxed out at 70lbs. Felt great in my hands and the "Archery Expert" had nothing but good to say about it. I didn't go ahead and buy it since I want to get my local pro shop to order it and set it up for me. Im hoping to have it by the end of the month.

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Some good advise from the guys! Welcome to bowhunting.com, you will love it here and learn ton's!

15. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the site alex!

16. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for the warm welcome guys. I've been reading these forums everyday and have learned alot just by going thread by thread. I can't wait till I get my bow and can actually start practicing.

17. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Alex!

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Alex. I'm in McKinney. Good luck this fall.

19. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site !!!

20. hmccall4

hmccall4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Guys!