New Wannabe Bowhunter from Sweden.

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Sonny Lundberg, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Sonny Lundberg

Sonny Lundberg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings! I'm a 29 year old hunter, living and hunting in Northern Sweden. I've been interested in bowhunting a while but just recently decided to get me a compound bow, and try to get my ass off on a hunting trip.

Bowhunting is not legal in Sweden yet, although that might change soon. There are a few neighboring countires that allow bowhunting, but hunting in the US, and especially Alaska is at the top of my bucket list.

I've been looking at a few bows online, reviews and videos. I know everyone says to shoot them all and decide later, but there aren't any bowshops around. There are two major bowshops in Sweden, both are over 600 miles away. I'm probably just gonna measure my draw length, then order a bow and hope for the best. Been looking for a long time on a Carbon Icon, mostly because it's a complete package, considering the lack of bowshops. And it has very nice reviews. Buuut... also looked at BT Mag X, Reign 7, SR6, Mathews Vertix, and Hoyt RX-3 Ultra... Hopefully, if it does become legal, a lot of the hunting shops here will star stocking up on bows and related equipment, but for now it's gonna be a bit of guesswork!

w33kender likes this.
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on getting bowhunting legal. Having archery shops so far away could be a handicap. You state a bow you would like to have. My question would be getting the bow serviced or repaired if needed. I recall reading a few years ago that Sweden doesn't allow reloaded ammunition for hunting, only factory loaded ammunition. Is this correct or has it changed?
    Welcome to the forum!

3. Sonny Lundberg

Sonny Lundberg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Yeah I know, but I'm assuming, if it does become legal, that more hunting shops will start to service bows. And there are local archery teams/clubs who have a little more tools and knowledge. I have never heard of that, we do allow reloaded ammunition.

Thank you =)

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. The part about ammunition was many years ago. Good and safe hunting!

5. WhiteJD4

WhiteJD4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have a tricky situation there. I wish you the best. Any questions just ask.

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard, Sonny.

8. Ranger Pat

Ranger Pat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how feasible this is, but it may be worth getting a bow like a diamond edge SB-1 that is super adjustable without the need for a bow shop so that you can identify what you really like before you drop big money on a flagship bow. Ultimately, its more expensive getting a SB-1 first, but you can rest easy knowing that when you do get a one of the ones you really want it will be sized correctly. Also, it be a good practice bow to do things like adjusting peep height and other tuning that will allow you to learn how to do the stuff most of us rely on a pro shop for without the fear of damaging a flagship(it sounds like your situation might require you to learn how to tune your own bow). I'm very new to archery, but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. Jordan Klien

Jordan Klien Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! thats a tough call. I have heard only good things about the Hoyt Rx 3 Ultra but you know your situation best. Good Luck

Sonny Lundberg likes this.
  10. Sonny Lundberg

Sonny Lundberg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the welcomes and all =) I read yesterday that the Bowtech SR6 won "Bow of the Year", it was one of the bows I was thinking about, so I guess I can't really go wrong with it, but hopefully I get to try some before I decide.