New Toy

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Rick James, Feb 9, 2018.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you brush hogging in the snow? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Personally, I'd wait until the frost is out of the ground. Then, when the ground is soft, you can push over a lot of the smaller trees and use your loader or forks to pull up the root ball and remove the entire tree. Grapple works best for this. Push tree over, back up, dig under roots w/grapple, lift up and put tree where you want it.

A bush hogging tip that I use (got from tractorbynet forum) is to set the back wheel so when the deck is level it will be cutting at 6-8 inches. That way you can cut all the way to the ground if you want to. The other thing is the mower has an easier time cutting the bigger stuff when the front is lower than the rear. My 6' rhino is set up like this and I can cut the heavy stuff or the tall weeds along my easement and make it look like it was done with a lawnmower.

I know it's hard to wait when you have a new machine but I think you'll get better results by waiting until spring for plot clearing.

When I got my tractor it quickly became my new best friend.

Good luck

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome Rick!!! You'll love the time you have to do other things since you won't be wearing out your atv or utv. It is a game changer having a tractor. About all we use our atv for is pulling the cultipacker or spraying with the 25 gallon sprayer. You'll be able to do sooooo much more now!!

Enjoy!!

Rick James likes this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice machine!! I got a Kubota and I love it. 1 thing I recommend is the piranha tooth bar
    D12CB62A-C35C-45BC-8E43-0D9C79E48EFE.jpeg 2DC34B54-4B6D-4E7E-8C94-DEAC661C420C.jpeg 2C6936ED-0CE9-4289-96DC-3E26FA6CEE6C.jpeg

Rick James likes this.
  4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want one of these badly. Will be getting one at some point soon I think.

Can you use this as well when you're just using the loader for dirt/gravel? I'm curious if you have to take it off and put it on when using the loader for different things. I'm aware it's primarily for help when clearing brush/small trees, but curious if it can stand up to normal loader use as well.

Thanks for sharing!

5. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've not had it to long but just last week I moved and spread 16ton of 1" rock and cleaned out a 40x20 pole barn digging down 3-4" of compacted rock and dirt ready to pour concrete and it made it so much easier, showing no sign of wearing or chips. The thing is made strong and I'm sure it can stand up to a lot of abuse.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice!!! Sounds like my uncle ended up going with a Kioti instead of the kubota. Hope it works as well. Supposed to be pretty comparable to kubota