New to traditional archery

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Parker70, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been hunting with a compound for 20 years but decided to buy a recurve for something different. I used to shoot longbows and recurves in college, but they belonged to the archery club. I wasn't Byron Ferguson but I wasn't bad either. Anyway I bought a #50 pse anthem. After research it seemed like a good entry level bow.
    My question is.... I know I'm going to be buying new arrows and broadheads but what else do I need. I don't plan on shooting a finger tab but I'm not opposed to trying one either. Likewise what grain broad head and spine arrow would be a good starting point?
    I also know I'm going to have to tune the thing so any tips are appreciated.

2. tooruseno

tooruseno Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Second

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple of recurves that I shoot. They both have the magnetic wire rests, so feather fletchings. I've thought about going to a tab as well but currently use the 3 finger glove. On broadheads I have bought up all the discontinued Carbon Express XT4's I can find, 100gr. Or I use Bee Stinger Magnus 150gr. My arrows are my previous set that I used with my compound, carbon GT340's or I shoot Easton Gamegetter XX75 2317 when hunting.

Not for nothing but getting back into traditional archery you may want to get a set of 30-35# limbs, you can shoot all day and not get tired. I have a recurve that is 32# @29" and it's just fun to shoot.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    just ordered my Bohning jig and components. I had 2 dozen Victory VForce 350s laying around bare naked just looking to get abused so I ordered 100gr brass TopHat inserts, some 4" feathers, and I'll get down to business here on my trad rig this weekend. Not sure what head I will be using as I will tinker with it and go with whatever weight works best; but I am thinking I will start with the Carbon Express XT4s and then go from there. I would eventually like to go with Kudu Contour 125s but that is a lot of weight up front on a 350 spine. Victory's chart says it's fine but we shall see.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck finding the XT4's I saw someone had listed some for sale on here the other day. Imo, they're a great shooting broadhead. And after our conversation the other day, I'm building a heavy arrow for my trad setup as well.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    they flew true on my Mission rig with 350 spine. Never put one in an animal but I liked them so much I bought a bunch for my wife's rig as she is only pulling 45#. Since I have so many on hand seems like a good place to start.

Okiebob likes this.