New to the sport

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by mbrown72986, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mbrown72986

mbrown72986 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, I am very new to the bow scene, so new I don't own a bow yet. I was hoping some of you could help me determine what an acceptable price range was for my first bow. Also what am I looking for when purchasing a bow? I am 6'2" and 200lbs, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Any advise would help. If anyone has a used bow they think is a good fit for a nube, I'm open to that suggestion as well. Thanks folks!

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to a great obsession as most of us here would call it. My personal Opinion would be for you to go down to your local bow shop or outdoors store whether it be cabelas, gander mnt., scheels, small town bow shop, ect... and tell them that you are new to the sport and have many questions. It's easier to do this than on here because they can hand you a bow and physically show you the parts of a bow and what have you. They then can give you advise as to what they think is suitable. as for a price range I would say anywhere from 400-600 dollars can get you a great starting bow that will last quite a while.For purchasing a bow I would look for how smooth it is to draw, how comfortable you feel with the bow, and definitely shoot every possible one you can. That is the deciding factor as to which bow you prefer. Best of luck to you and your future in this sport

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the club. There are so many good bows out there its hard to pick just one while starting out. I would go into an archery shop and do some shooting. Dont buy one just cause they say its top of the line or it fits you. Shoot some and pick what you like. Price doesnt matter with a bow starting out. If you like it and shoot it well then pick it up. Good luck

4. clingy

clingy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I am new to the sport as well. I've made my bow purchase but am waiting until the 2014-2015 season to start... getting practice in first. I will be hunting the Towson/Baltimore area. Maybe I'll see you around!

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just to give you an idea of prices. Kid youth bow that you can still hunt with. 300+, midleval adult bow. I'm think chargers, zxt, blaze and balistic here. 500-700. High end bow, up here your paying for the name too, 900-1000. Carbon bow. 1300-1500.

Since your just starting out I would suggest a midrange bow. Keep in mind that accessories with cost you to. Personally I would weather go with a 500 dollar bow with great accessories and arrows than a 1000 bow with mid to low range accessories. Keep in mind you can keep high end accessories, sights, stablizers, rests, for a long time and in a few years if you want to upgrade you can save alot by already having gear.

A sample setup.

Mission Balistic. 475-500.
    QAD HDX 100
    Quiver,
    Alpine bearclaw: 35
    (You can go
    pretty cheap
    on that for now.)
    TR, firewire V3 50 bucks off ebay.
    TR, static 34, on ebay comes with a wrist sling.
    stablizer
    For arrows you
    don't need to
    spend a tone r
    ight off. Your
    gonna lose
    some trust me.:D
    CX Mutiny. 6 45-50
    Release,
    What ever your
    proshop carries around 40.

So your looking at around 780 dollars Total. I'm no expert but that's plently to suit the needs of a beginning bowhunter