new to food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Hoytultrasport, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hoytultrasport

Hoytultrasport Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to plant a food plot this year and i dont know what would be the best choice for my location. I am leaning heavely on clover and soy beans due to there year round forage together. I live in the easter panhandle of west virginia and we get heavy snow but we also get alot of heat. The track i plan on planting is a 68 acer track that has a field on a hill. I was consedering planting on the top of the hill to be as far away from the property line as i can. I want it to be about 1 acer which i know is 70 yards sq. If anyone could help me it would be great. also i was thinking about planting something else at the bottom of the hill to aid in the antler growth in the early part of the year. not sure what would be best for that eithere. that would be a much small plot. everything will be dont with hand tools not able to get any heavy equipment up the small horse trail my uncle has. thanks. cant use horses either already asked.

2. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beans would probably work on the hilltop ok. An acre isn't much and won't last long if deer are plentiful in your area. Clover would probably be ok for the bottom land. It doesn't mind moisture but doesn't like swampy conditions.

If you plan to everything by hand you have a top job ahead of you. Look on QDMA's website and you'll find it to be very helpful.