New to food plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Hoytultrasport, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Hoytultrasport

Hoytultrasport Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to put a few food plots on a piece of property we have this year and I'm not to sure on what to get. I want something that will grow for several years and that sprouts in october. Can you guys help me on what to get. Thanks

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clover or Alfalfa are 2 perienials that will come back every year. Clover being the easier of the 2 to grow. Plus clover will stay green up into the winter. Alfalfa will die after a hard frost but come back the next spring.

There are also annuals which make great food plots, but you have to replant them every year. Soy beans, corn, wheat and turnips come to mind here.

The best food plots have a mix of both annuals and periennals. That way you have something for them to eat year round. And both have their benifits.

Here's a good website to do some research on food plots.

http://www.foodplots.com/

3. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also try a brassica type plant like kail, turnips, sugar beets there are some others. Chicory is also great. it is a perennial and i see deer eating it all year long.

4. rybec2

rybec2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clover........

5. scpowill

scpowill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    go to www.qdma.com. this site will help answer a bunch of questions. Also go to www.whitetailinstitute.com. They are the gurus on food plots. There are several books available on preparing and maintaining food plots. I found this site on Facebook of all places and not sure but it might be something to check into. Emailed Jeff Helmers of www.bigracktrophyproducts.com about his product and was quick to respond. Again google will be your best friend.