New to Filming/Editing. Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Pops423, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last summer I had a camera arm made and set out to do some self-filming. I've learned a lot during the first season. I finally got around to putting together a short video of one evenings hunt of a buck I was after. This all happened in the first 20 minutes of setting up the camera arm so to say I was unprepared is an understatement.

As I go through the editing process, I'm already thinking of new things to film to include in next falls videos as well as talking points and transitions. I've already upgraded my camera swivel head (for smoother video) and hoping to get a new camera by fall.

I welcome any feedback, good or bad you all have regarding how to better film or edit.

2. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It is a great start! Its funny you'll find as you film more and more you start becoming very picky about your own filming but in your case this is a great start, I would say the audio is the biggest thing, it was pretty hard to hear what you were saying and that was also due to the fact that it sounded like there was an interstate right behind your stand. Over all great start! and as you practice more and hunt/ film you get the hang of it.
    PS I don't know if you figured this out already but for me I like to have my camera arm about hip height or a little higher when I am standing up in my stand I found that is the right height for me.
    Good Luck!

Pops423 likes this.
  3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with CToutdoorsman. The audio was pretty bad. Were you using the cams mic? A shotgun mic would help or even a wireless mic would have been better. Rode videomic is pretty good. Also I would invest in a good fluid head,. Lota shaken goin on in that video, but I assume you were freehand filming. If your gonna freehand film turn your image stabilization way up if your cam has that feature. Not tryna sound like Mr. know it all. Just tryna help.

Pops423 likes this.
  4. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah there is a major highway about 200 yards from me.
    I mount my camera arm to the to rail of my ladder stand so it just worked out that way.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  5. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback. Definetly need a mic just using the one built into the camera.
    I took an old fluid head off an old tripod and mounted that to the arm. already upgraded that for this year..
    Don't sound like a know-it-all at all. I asked for feedback and appreciate the input.

6. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Old setup showing the mounting to the stand and pieced together stuff.
    [​IMG]

I'll have to get an updated photo when I get it all put together.

7. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also picked up this phone mount...
    [​IMG]

Taped my spring turkey hunt with that attached to my shotgun