New to bowfishing....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by HoytGirl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. HoytGirl

HoytGirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to bowfish and soon as the weather warms up, but was wondering if I need to just buy a rig for my hunting bow or buy a cheap bow to set it up for bowfishing. Suggestions?

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely get another bow, bowfishing can be really hard on equipment. I can't tell you the number of times I have thrown my bow on the rocks to grab a big fish. Also, all the water and fish slime gets EVERYWHERE :lol: I bought a PSE Kingfisher recurve for roughly $100 and added the AMS reel (which I highly recommend). After bowfishing so much and seeing how equipment gets treated, I would never take my hunting bow on the water.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the set up i was looking at getting. How do you like it? Also what pound bow did you get?

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love mine, it's never let me down. Plus, I don't have to keep a release strapped to my wrist always getting in the way. I got the 45 lb limbs. Plenty at my DL (30")

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of going 45 since i have a shorter draw (26.5) I think it would work out nice. If we can shoot fish in that pond at camp you should bring it up. I love to try it out if dont mind.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you're supposed to, but you never know :lol: I'll bring it up either way, no problem at all. Maybe we could find a creek somewhere to shoot some fish Thursday where you can shoot something. I don't want to buy a fishing license though haha

7. HoytGirl

HoytGirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I didn't think about how hard bowfishing could be on equipment. Sounds like a good reason to go shopping!! :)

8. spoonie08

spoonie08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd definitely buy a cheap bow and rig it up for bowfishing. As mentioned before, bowfishing is rough on the equipment. Heck, I've even got a bow on the bottom of the Ohio River somewhere. Go to a bowshop, spend about $100 on a used compound/recurve and rig it out with the AMS reel and you'll be good to go.

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good man. I bet ferg would know. Either way I can get a fishing license really cheap. I usually get one any ways so it works out. :tu:

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Def get a decent used Bow. Bow fishing is hard on a Bows finish as they go through alot of abuse. Dont skimp on the reel though, I would suggest an AMS reel, there awesome and drag free, stay away from the giant spool type reels.

11. ikesoutdoors

ikesoutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my first year and I learned a lot about what kind of gear is actually worth buying. Here is a video I made giving a few tips.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. INBuckChaser

INBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to garage sales or pawn shops and find a bow with decent strings and a solid arm. No need to get all fancy for a bowfishing bow. Functionality is key. I did this and got my rig and got a bow, reel and two arrows for $120 bucks. Oh, and another tip... AIM LOW :lol:

13. outdoorsexperience

outdoorsexperience Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowfishing is another way to catch a fish. Instead of the traditional fishing rod and reel complete with worms as bait, bowfishers are equipped with bowfishing bows.

14. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wanting to get into bowhunting also and have an old 70's bear compound. Could I use it?

15. spoonie08

spoonie08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can use about anything you want to. Throw a retriever on it and you'll be set

16. BRVRY

BRVRY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to set your bow to the lowest possible draw weight (unless under 30lb) the most shooting you'll be doing is shallow water and fish will spook fast so you need a quick draw and will low draw weight, you won't bury your arrow into rocks or stuck on bed weeds. Remember to AIM LOW.