New to bow hunting!! help out a friend!! :)

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Hoffdiddy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Hoffdiddy

Hoffdiddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And also whats the best kind of sight im looking for?

2. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 2 cents, and most will probably agree, on camo is comfort is more important than pattern. Im using First Lite stuff in ASAT. It is made of merino wool, expensive, but it is really good stuff. There are some other brands out there with similar materials and such. A lot of people like Sitka, and Badlands came out with some new base layer stuff made of bamboo. Haven't heard anything from people about that yet though.

Spott Hog sights are very good. I use the Real Deal 5-pin.

3. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah this is huge. You gotta know what you are doing after a shot for sure. It helps to have someone with you that has processed before and hopefully your not the squeamish type. After all you are intending on taking another animals life. You owe it to the animal to be well studied and prepared for the after shot duties.
    As far as knives go all you need is a small smooth bladed pocket knife, I like one with a slightly raked back blade, as well as a boning knife. I use a 6" medium raked victorinox it cost about 20. My favorite small gutting and knife is a kershaw chive. Awesome little knife. Hacksaws come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those spot hogs are awesome. The hunter 5 or what ever it is called looks so legit. But to be completely honest I have an old pse for my buddies to shoot and it is equipped with a $15 plastic four pin sight. I'm just as accurate with that thing as my expensive sight. But hey if money is not an option go for the gold.
    One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is to be patient with your purchases. I love getting new stuff but you will learn so much over time that you don't already know. This can greatly influence your choices on gear. I guess what I'm getting at is don't rush into buying a bunch of stuff that you may not need. Sometimes simplicity can be better. But you will learn more about what YOU will need in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

5. Hoffdiddy

Hoffdiddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    you guys are awesome... thank you so much all of you.... i guess the one piece of gear i will kinda rush into is my alpine bow the fireball for $400. seems like a great deal and i am confident in this purchase, i get this so i can practice then ill buy stuff little by little aka knife, pack, binoc, and yes field dressings very important if someone could find what they think is the best video of a field dresser would be great i seen many but they all do it a different way so its a bit confusing and yes i am not wasteful one bit, i cried when i caught a fish killed it and couldnt make use of it when i was younger according to my mother cuz it was a sucker fish.. that will not be the case here i will be prepared for it all. thats another thing how do you put a animal out of its misery? i knick one in the lung or something of the sort and its alive but on that border? take another shot? idk... you tell me... thank you all again!

6. Hoffdiddy

Hoffdiddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    bump... anything on this ^^

7. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you shoot one, don't immediately start going after it. Give it about 45 min to an hour to expire. You'll just end up making the animal run and run and you may not find it.

When you do get to start to track your deer and you spook it and it runs off, back out for a few hours or overnight.

The majority of the time when a deer gets shot, it either dies on the run. On a poorly placed shot, the deer will run until it feels out of danger or just can't run anymore. It will bed down and expire.

Deer are really hard-*** animals and are hard to kill.

Don't get discouraged if you shoot one and don't find it, this happens from time to time. Just make sure you look the woods over and over. You owe the animal the respect of looking very well. Just keep plugging away and you'll get another shot at one.

-Justin Starr-

8. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is for Elk but works great for whitetails as well.

Uncensored Bad-to-the-Bone Video Clips - Muzzy Broadheads

10. Hoffdiddy

Hoffdiddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so i thought you usually would just gut the beast and take it somewhere?? this is kinda if you wanna butcher it yourself?

11. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on how much money you want to save and how self-reliant you want to be.

I took my deer to the local butcher shop for the first year and total for processing 3 deer was about $650.00.

I would much rather save that money for a mount, or help pay for a new lease.

-Justin Starr-

12. Hoffdiddy

Hoffdiddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    dam. good stuff. thank you gentleman very much. making a man outta me.

13. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elbow deep in a gut pile will make a man out of you! :p

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously... dude... it took 3 trips to figure that out? Wow!

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Skin it, lay it on the tail gate and start removing the goodies. In a cooler in 15 minutes with the skeleton tossed over the fence. It takes me longer to clean a big catfish.

16. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or a sissy... lol

I would tell you to go to a bow shop and let them set you up on a bow of your choosing, arrows, field points, quiver, site and a target bag.

Take it home, set the bag 10 yards in front of you and start shooting. When you can group 6 arrows in a 3in circle, step back another 5-10 yards and shoot some more. Shoot down hill, up hill, across from it, from a tree... up close, far away and keep shooting. Start estimating how close you are in yards as you'll need to get proficient in assuming how close a deer is to you out in the field if you're not using a range finder.

The best thing for you to do is get your bow and practice and read everything you can before the season starts next year.

17. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is true. I have a buddy who gags every time he dresses an animal. He's done it ever since I can remember. 15+ years. We just bust his balls and laugh.

Practice, practice and practice some more. And just when you think you're good to go. Run around the block and do 15 push ups and shoot 3 or 4 arrows in succession. Repeat.

Nothing will make your shot better than that. You'll understand after you get that animal in front of you and you're all jacked up and shaky from the adrenaline pumping. And you will be glad you prepared for that.

-Justin Starr-

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013