new switch grass stand

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not using switchgrass but I planted "Plot Screen" around my entire food plot this year to allow for stealthy access

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't updated this in two years! Here is my observations. number 1 deer love this security cover. When Guns start blaring the big boys make a be-line to this stuff. in 2015 my number one buck was on cam entering it opening day of gun season, I previously hadn't gotten a pic of him in three weeks. 13 days later my wife harvested him as he chased a doe through the small food plot 50 yards south of it. This year as of Tuesday night at 1 am my number 1 buck was heading straight into the switch grass. The last pic I got of him was Oct 20th. Guns start and he knew where to go. now its a waiting game, me waiting for his mistake! The switch is nice and thick averaging 6-7 ft tall. Deer love it especially once the neighbors start gun hunting hard. we went from five to six deer living consistently in and around it to 15 over the course of the last 48 hours. It's fun to watch them walk out of it, knowing the work that went into it. Here are some pics this is year 4.

This is the entrance. its a 4 wheeler trail i use to get to the plots. you can't even see the trail hardly anymore. [​IMG]

This is from the ladder stand you can see in original pics from 4 years ago. the entrance is that field corner. Grass goes to the north 100 yards, Northwest 150 yards and North east 100 yards. a ditch which you can't see anymore runs through the middle. the bedding I built with humps of dirt and brush is being used regularly by a doe group.
    [​IMG]

This is the view to the north. Its 150 yards or so to that tree line which is an excellent transition edge of cedar and down ash tree's.
    [​IMG]

Can you find the doe?????? [​IMG]

I circled her, she is actually standing on the ditch crossing where grass is only 4 ft or so. but they blend in well
    [​IMG]

Here is the wife's buck last year, we watched him go into the grass last year at 6:45 am on opener of gun, She shot him days later chasing a doe through one of our food plots.
    [​IMG]

I passed this guy last year during gun after he exited the switchgrass to chase a doe in the brassica's field.

[​IMG]

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome update! I'm wondering if you ever planted the fruit and oak trees? The grass looks great and I can picture them slipping in and out of it.

5. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't yet. I currently am stratifying a few hundred white oak acorns in the fridge. The plan is to start then mid winter under lights, then transplant them this spring into tree tubes. Here are some tree's I have started from seed, first pic is a sawtooth Oak I planted from acorn in 2010, the other is apple tree I started from apple seed in 2009.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. denverd1

denverd1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man that looks great! No better proof than the bucks you've seen and taken. Awesome work, thx for the update

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk