New stand on the fence line

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by johnstonab, Oct 17, 2016.

1. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The property I hunt just put a fence up. 4 foot fence to help turn trespassers around. To put the fence up they made a nice trail through the woods. The deer like this trail. I had been sitting my Archery stand about 100 or so yards off the fence line, got a deer on opening day out of it, and I have been seeing the deer walking the fence. I decided to put my climber out about 10 yards off the fence during the week in hopes of getting one.

Saturday morning I went to that stand, made sure I was there early enough to climb it before first light. Got up there 30 minutes of darkness left. First shooting light was at 0653. 0655ish I heard it, first thought was squirrel, then it didn't sound quite right for squirrel. Caught a glimpse of it and came to draw. It didn't come up the fence as I was hoping. It crossed the little creek (first sound I heard from it) and came to the fence at 90 degrees to it. At this point I was hoping it would turn and walk the fence my way. I saw the back legs crouch like it was going to jump the fence...

Oh no! Don't leave the property...

It did a 180 and was going back the way it came. 25 yards and I had an opening... watched the nocturnal lighted nock fly and hit the ground. Crap, did I get it? The deer ran like a bat out of hell. I wait my time before climbing down. Retrieve my arrow. COVERED in sweat red wetness.

Could not find a blood trail. In my quest for a drop of blood I found him.

I did it again, I didn't stop him before taking the shot and hit I'm WAAAAAAAY back. One would think I would learn, this is the third deer I've done that to.

I got my deer, meat in the freezer Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File IMG_06851.jpg
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations, but that's not a 180 deer.

3. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. I bet he's gonna score...delicious

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep! Some days it is better to be lucky than good. Work on shot placement some as luck runs out. He will be tasty. Fence line through woods often makes for a deer highway. Smart move.

5. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt for meat. Where I hunt, I am lucky if I get 3 seconds from first sighting to drawing the bow. It can get pretty thick under growth. I do look around for others before shooting as to avoid shooting fawns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk