New Sight Needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Dobeman2000, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Dobeman2000

Dobeman2000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my eyes are at the point where the pins just aren't showing up as well as they once did. I just got new glasses (wear progressive lens bifocals), so my eyes are as good as they are going to get. The problem I am experiencing is the pins seeming to blend together (using an older Trophy Ridge sight). This isn't a big problem for the 20 yard pin, but becomes an issue when I shoot from further out. I know I could use a single pin sight with an optimizer but I am worried about having enough time to range the deer, use my tape, and then fire. And I don't want to spend the money on one of the range finding sights that sound exceptionally complicated. So, I guess I am asking what might be available to me to help me differentiate the pins. I have difficulty differentiating the pins no matter what time of day it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps just a 3 pin sight with further ranges between? Say 15m, 25m, 40m?

The optimizer sights seem to work well for alot of people. I would just go that route and when you have ranged the area you want to shoot the deer in, set the pin for that distance then wait for it to walk into that zone and shoot.
    But I don't think setting the sight pin once you have identified your target and shot.

3. JimQ

JimQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You should look into an EZV sight.

4. Dobeman2000

Dobeman2000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I have read about this sight, seems to be a toss up- people seem to love it or hate it.

5. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You found people that hated it?
    Don't know how he is viewed here, but even senior "Ranch Fairy" really likes it and that fool shoots some heavy arrows, so he screws the entire "Algorithm" of the device up.

6. JimQ

JimQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting I think it is one of the best sights out there and it is fairly simple to get used to. If you do a lot of target shooting for point not so much but I am getting consistent bullseyes with it.

7. BricksDad

BricksDad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a single pin sight on my compound. Elevation is controlled by raising or lowering the pin on the sight to accommodate the distance you're shooting. Been using it for years and I've come to the point that I put my sight on the 20 yard marker and I leave it there. If the target is closer than 20 yards I just hold a little low and conversely if the animal is out to 30 yards or slightly further. Pretty easy actually if you practice it and know where your arrow will hit.