New Samick and a thumbs up!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by horus11b, Jan 27, 2014.

1. horus11b

horus11b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Soooooo.... My new sage came in and I couldn't be more stoked. I spent probably an hour tonight after work sending arrows downrange @ 10 yards trying to figure out this instinctive shooting bit. I can honestly say, even though I was a very good shot with my compound, the first time I shot this bow...It just felt right. Feels like I might be able to honestly connect with the bow in the same way I did with my rifle in the army.

I honestly also want to give two thumbs up and a large round of applause to the guys down at Rocky Mountain Specialties in Colorado. From the initial phone call, to the layaway plan, to the final shipment, they made this process very easy and constantly spent time answering my noob questions on the phone. I've never met a bigger bunch of guys who just honestly get excited about trad. They even go so far as to give free lessons in store. Unfortunately, I was never able to take advantage of this because I live in texas, but its just evidence of a pure love of the sport.

If you're in the market for a new bow, or any kind of trad gear, check out RMSgear.com.... I could not reccomend them any higher.

Now, I've been shooting this thing for a whole day and I'm not an expert yet, there is obviously something wrong with my bow, any tips? :bow:

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow!

Now post up some photos before you have to turn in your man card :busted:

3. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Form, form ,FORM.
    Fistmele/brace height-7 1/2" is a good starting point. From the deepest part of the grip.
    Arrow spine-be sure it's correct
    Tip weight-will alter spine
    FOC-heavy is better
    Arrow weight-100gr for every 10# of bow weight. ie: 45#=450gr, 50#=500gr, 55#=550gr, etc.

Other variables:
    Shooting 3 under or split finger
    Nock placement
    Consistent anchor point!!!
    Consistent draw, you might hit your anchor point but not extend your bow arm to the same point.
    Gap shooting or instinctive shooting

I assume you know you can't shoot vanes off a shelf, you must use feathers.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    I too am just getting into traditional and while I am in Colorado for these last four months I stopped in the shop on Saturday and I have to agree these are some of the best people I have ever met in a business. They gave me free shooting lessons in the store and then encouraged me to come back a couple more times before my purchase so I could buy a heavier bow right off the start after my form and strength improved. Heading back Thursday for the second time!