New release advice

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ILbowhntr, Mar 10, 2022.

1. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to move to a 3 or 4 finger thumb release.
    I’m shooting Scot Mongooses right now.
    Have a Cascade Model 8 that I’ve shot over the years, but I like having 2 and have no idea how to get another.
    Not looking for a hinge release.
    What’s anyone shooting and why do you like it.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Jim

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting the true fire edge for a few years. Relatively cheap and no complaints.

I'd like like to try a stan, but more than I want to spend.

3. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The Edge is the one I was looking at. I like the idea of the swivel head.

4. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting Tru-Fire or T.R.U. Ball wrist releases for years. I too, was looking to get into a 3 or 4 finger release. The Edge piqued my interest because of the swivel head. Probably because it was something I'm familiar with. Figured it wouldn't be too crazy to figure out. In the end, I went with the T.R.U. Ball max pro 4. Very similar. But, more adjustability on the thumb button. I have a big hand. And, the ability to attach a lanyard to keep on my wrist if I want. Still not keen on leaving it in a pocket or hanging from the D loop.

Only used it several times so far but, it's comfortable and consistent. It's winter here and have to pay to shoot indoors. Plan to shoot it a lot more this summer. Then decide which I'll use this fall.

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had use a Truball Boss X for many years (4 finger caliper), a great thumb release and I still use it from time to time. I got a resistance release a few years back (Stan Perfex) and when it didnt go off, I double pumped it and injured my bicep on my draw arm, added to the tendonitis .... I havnt used it since .... I have now went to the Spot Hogg Keeton, which is a wrist strap/index finger that draws like a 4 finger and it has helped me immensely by reducing the strain on my draw arm, proper setup is important with it and once done, it is fantastic to draw and shoot and hunt with ...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting release. Do you trigger it with index or middle finger?
    Thing will take some getting used to.

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my index finger, and can still use back tension if I want ... I tried using the middle finger, but I have longer fingers, so after drawing, its hard to bring them into play as shown in the vid ... I love the release, you get the simplicity of the index style release, and drawing with the 4 fingers plus the strap relieves some of the pressure on the fingers and arm ... it HAS to be adjusted properly, once done it is sweet ....

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/videos/how-to-use-the-keaton-release/

this also from Lancaster Archery

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No one release fits everybody's style and preferences. Find a shop that carries a bunch of different brands and styles and shoot them.

I shoot both. For off season and indoor stuff I shoot a Stan SX3. For hunting, I have an old Scott Rhino XT wrist strap. I tried hunting with the Stan and I prefer the feel of a thumb, I just couldn't trust myself with it for some reason.

Regardless of the release, I would highly recommend a release that has adjustments for both trigger travel and trigger weight. I prefer very heavy triggers with zero travel. I can't shoot anything very well that i can feel the trigger move. Having a release with a lot of adjustability is nice to fine tune it.

10. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Played with a Carter Wise Choice yesterday while killing time in Phoenix yesterday. The wife was shopping.
    I believe I found my new release. Didn’t think I’d like the index finger, but I did. I like the way it feels in my hand and the way the trigger breaks.
    I believe the 4 finger model is my choice.
    I’ll have to lengthen my D loop and adjust my peep, but need to reserve the string. Might as well do it all at once.
    Cost is the only downside!

11. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up the Spot Hog Keeton (the one in the video clip).
    It’s awesome on the draw but it will take some time to get use to and a lot of adjustment on my part.
    Obviously the use of your hand in conjunction with the wrist strap is going help utilize more if not all the necessary muscle groups in the draw cycle.
    It changes my anchor point and getting my fingers around the trigger is tricky.
    Of course the more you practice the easier that will get (maybe)
    I’m going to give it some time and really try and make it work because A) I’m not getting any younger. B) I honestly like the lighter smoother draw motion
    I shoot 60 lbs and believe I could easily pull 70 with it….If it works out I’m thinking I’ll crank it up a bit this summer…a few extra pounds may not be necessary but wouldn’t hurt next hunting season.

12. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The Carter felt very natural to me, not like I had to try to make it work. That natural feel was also important to me.

13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you want equal pressure on the strap that connects to the release wrist strap and the release itself ... it has become second nature when drawing to anchoring and bringing my index finger around, same for letting down. My index finger now easily reverts back to its starting point on the 'handle so to speak ... it took about a month to get everything correct and from then it is a great shooting release... BTW, I have mine set a tad cold, a stiffer trigger so to speak, but it still breaks clean ..... be sure to shorten the smaller strap so your index finger gets a good wrap on the trigger, once I found the spot/length I took a sewing needle and put in small stitch's to keep the strap from any possibility of sliding .. I'll see if I can get a pic of it ...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  14. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    at the tip of the knife, you can see where I added a few stitches to the bottom part of the strap to prevent any chance of the adjustment strap sliding once I found the perfect adjustment location ... when hunting I wear camo gloves, I will use the wrist strap holes to make adjustments depending on if I am shooting barehanded (warm weather) vs hunting/colder weather by going to a different hole in the wrist strap, I go out one hole for gloved use and every thing else stays the same, pull it one hole tighter for bare handed use... ..

20220320_133458.jpg

15. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    The thing that gives me pause with using a wrist strap with a thumb release is that it sort of defeats some of the purpose of switching to a thumb for hunting. Personally, I like the idea of clipping it on the d loop and thats where it stays, leaving me hand free without a release dangling off my wrist. I have to imagine a thumb release dangling off my wrist all day is a bit annoying.

16. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    That Keeton is not really a thumb release. A neat idea, just not what I was looking for.

17. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at the Keeton. Just seems like a lot going on to be hanging off my wrist all day in a stand

ILbowhntr likes this.
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not really, considering its benefits with easing the draw and helping my shoulder ... I still use the Boss X , but the impacts points are different, so switching between the two on a whim is out of the question ... either has to be sighted in for that particular release... I love the Keeton, it works as for what it is designed to do ... to me, it is no different than having any wrist strap on the wrist ... yea, I like the Boss X just hanging from the loop, but in drawing, it puts full pressure on the fingers, which in turn puts pressure on my bicep and shoulder/tendons .. when I double pumped that damn Stan Perfix tension release over a year and a half a go (wouldnt go off) (f-n TP), I put a tear in the bicep and got tendonitis in the tendons of the shoulder (over use), by using the Keeton, the draw is different and spread between different muscles and I can now shoot effectively .... there are those that would have wimped out, saying ohhh, my shoulder is bad, gotta get a crossthingy ..... nope, not me... hell, I went from 75 to 70lbs to 65 and now to 60lbs ( I wish I never shot heavy poundage).. the next bow I get will be a 50/60 lber... I'll never go to one of those damn crossgun thingys (I despise 'em, I'm a BOWhunter damn it !!) and the Keeton allows me to continue shooting and hunting with a BOW .. its called dedication .... its a beoch getting old, it happens to everyone ..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Eddy G likes this.
  19. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Well got the Carter today. Had to reserve my string, been putting it off. Reset the peep and had to lengthen the draw on the bow. Finally, all done.
    After all that, I finally got to shoot the release. Love it! With the 4 finger model, drawing the same weight is very easy. Holding is almost effortless.
    Look forward to getting it outside and shooting at some distance.
    Think I made the right choice.