New Rage 3 blade users

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried the new Rage 3 blade? Any success stories from a hunter who has used them? I looked at the head in the store and it seemed so different than what I am used to seeing. Curious to hear how they fly and penetrate. For the fixed blade guys we know you don't like mechanicals we don't need a review of what you think of them

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested as well. I use the Rage Chisel Tips right now and they are great!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested too but it looks so different that I want to hear how it works for hunters before I try them myself

4. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rage 3 are illegal in NY so we have to stick w/ the 2 blade ...

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why is that? And where did you get that information?

6. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What makes them illegal?

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minnesota law says a broadhead can not exceed 2" I used Rage extremes one year and did not realize. I confessed to a CO and he said in all of his years of checking hunters he had never measured a broadhead

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In NY a broadhead must not be barbed, mechanical Broadheads with blades that pivot are not considered barbed.

9. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    DEC issued tickets a few years ago in Orange County NY to hunters who used Rage 3 broadheads and said they are considered barbed but the Rage 2 are OK because they collapse when pulled out ..... don't shoot the messenger just relaying experiences I saw first hand .... hope fully im wrong but I even called up Rage @ the time and they agreed with NY and Rage 3 being illegal in some states

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would think the 3 blade would collapse when pulled out as well?

11. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Rage 3 blade collapses just as far as a 2 blade that doesn't make sense to me. I'm interested in the Rage kore 3 blade as well, I'm going to guess we won't hear any civilian reviews on them till later in the season.

12. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the 3 blades for 4 years. They always collapsed when/if they had to be pulled out. Fortunately most of them went on through :)
    I would have fought that ticket for sure

13. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only have the 3 blades in "turkey broadheads" they got the job done, also my co-hunter uses 3 blade Rage and has taken 2 deer thus far. none of the deer he shot ran farther than 70 yards. Hope this helps. I personally like the 2 blades and have taken a couple of deer with them as well. the blood trail on the 2 blade is sick to say the least. Most more devastating than the 3 blade my co-hunter uses. You can literally be blind and follow this blood trail by touch and feel.

14. Rtkman

Rtkman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine killed a big moose with one here last week. I guess they work!

15. rock54

rock54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my wife has and always will be using the 3-blade rage out of her crossbow with awesome results...

we use just the regular 3-blade head, no chisel point....

with all the power of the crossbow they perform wonderfully, have not had any bad issues with them ever...

infact she just shot her buck last night a 9pt at 21yds and he went down in 30yds...

good luck to you in your decision,russ

16. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    every deer I've harvested since 2009 has been via the rage 3 blade. Last three season the chisel tip. All down within sight. I recently picked up the new kore 3 blade…. Thinking about exchanging for the chisel tips. Only for familiarity reasons. I have not opened the package yet, cannot comment on how they perform, will be scanning reviews next week or two….

17. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

one of my buddies received a warning on them here in westchester county NY.. the C.O. said there was testing done on the 3 blade and 7 out of 10 times the blades locked. so it is considered barbed. yes i heard it with my own ears

this is a quote from the FAQ section on the NYS DEC site:

NYSDEC does not maintain a list of broadheads that are acceptable or unacceptable for use in New York. It is the hunters' responsibility to recognize whether the broadheads they purchase and use meet the legal standard for big game hunting in New York.

Rage makes a 2-bladed and 3-bladed broadhead and our DEC Division of Law Enforcement has looked at both broadheads. Both versions seem to deploy well and meet NY's legal requirements for number of cutting surfaces and cutting width. However the 3-bladed version does not seem to retract consistently. That is, the blades of the Rage 3 do not seem to consistently "freely swing forward" into a non-barbed position upon extraction of the arrow as required by NYS Regulations. While mechanically it is possible for the blades of the Rage 3 to freely pivot forward, during our examination the blades occasionally got caught on each other and therefore may act as a barbed broadhead. Barbed broadheads are illegal for big game hunting in NY, but our laws and regulations do not prohibit barbed broadheads for turkey, coyote, or small game.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Hurst
    Wildlife Biologist

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015